What a joke. - Page 6 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucksDad View Post

The other day I had a REALLY dumb doe leaning against the side of my house under the overhang. I think she was actually trying to get out of the rain ! :
"Really dumb"? Seems to me she was the smart one, using the over hang of your roof as a rain shelter. The dumb ones were the others out there getting soaked by the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucksDad View Post
Why don't you start a thread called "hawksandowlsandhawksandowlandhawksandowlsanhawksa ndowlsandhawksandowlsandhawksandowls" and post this gibberish over there ?
Sorry if the facts bother you. How is the wild pheasant population in your area? I would not call controlling predators based on their numbers gibberish, has been done with otter, fisher and bobcat here in PA. Also done with doe tags, kind of just common sense wildlife management.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
Sorry if the facts bother you. How is the wild pheasant population in your area? I would not call controlling predators based on their numbers gibberish, has been done with otter, fisher and bobcat here in PA. Also done with doe tags, kind of just common sense wildlife management.
If we had no or few hawks, the pheasant population population numbers would be no better! It is habitat, which is sadly lacking. With good habitat, raptors make a small dent, they are not the cause as you continue to push. You cannot have a pheasant population with clean farming practices, period!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingshot View Post
"Really dumb"? Seems to me she was the smart one, using the over hang of your roof as a rain shelter. The dumb ones were the others out there getting soaked by the rain.
Ha ! You have a point there. She was also smart enough to know the dogs were stuck in the house and couldn't get after her. But I thought deer were waterproof...… g ?

These are the good old days.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, the facts do not change over time. So you may just hear it 25 more times. No liberal twist here. Just a guy telling the truth, Talk is cheap, and that is alright as long as it is the truth. Common sense would be, that if you want the pheasant reintroduction to actually work, you recognize the main mortality factors, in this case raptor predation. As was the case, they are federally protected and nothing was done about the problem and the pheasants were wiped out of most areas. When the mortality problem is not resolved, you have a reduction in numbers, unless reproduction numbers are higher than mortality numbers.

The fact is there wasn't switch grass at the time of wild pehasants in PA. The fact is it was not needed, as there was great habitat across the state regardless of switch grass. There is very little switch grass where I hunt in ND, and yet there are wild pheasants. They have habitat. Continuous habitat. As in whole squares of corn and cattails that take the place of switch grass.
So yes, it is habitat driven.
bad primer likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 09:37 AM

The habitat was set up in the pheasant restoration areas, from input by the bioligists, and other qualified people. It was set up in a limited area, and as such, no one really expected the birds to multiply to areas outside of the great habitat. How ever even with the custom habitat, the pheasants in most areas were decimated by raptors. Contrary to some beliefs predators are still able to influence game numbers, even in great habit. Non believers, look no farther than what the wolves have done out west. And if habitat is so poor why do the predators seem to be able to do so well?
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
The habitat was set up in the pheasant restoration areas, from input by the bioligists, and other qualified people. It was set up in a limited area, and as such, no one really expected the birds to multiply to areas outside of the great habitat. How ever even with the custom habitat, the pheasants in most areas were decimated by raptors. Contrary to some beliefs predators are still able to influence game numbers, even in great habit. Non believers, look no farther than what the wolves have done out west. And if habitat is so poor why do the predators seem to be able to do so well?
Um, not really true. Habitat was the limiting factor in pretty much all of the WPRAs. I did the flushing surveys for a few years in both the Central Susquehanna Valley and Hegins-Gratz Valley and where there was habitat there were wild pheasants and let me say that they are MUCH better at evading dogs and humans than any holdover stocked bird.
bad primer likes this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 11:41 PM

There were several areas for pheasant recovery. Are all the areas in the recovery areas still holding birds. I thought that the game commission gave up on the recovery efforts because they failed. But understand that one area still has some birds and a junior hunt. What I basically understood was that even with all the great habitat, the raptors still were able to inflict heavy losses, and the reproduction rate apparently was not greater than the mortality rate caused by predators, thus a reduction in pheasant numbers, in some cased total elimination. If you go back to I believe 2012 and look at some discussion between me and Lynn Appleman, I stated that even with the great habitat the raptors would eventually wipe out the pheasants, and that seems to be the case.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Smh.
R. S. B. likes this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 12-21-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page