What a joke. - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 09:47 PM

It is sad we lost our wild pheasants, I really miss wild birds. Many are happy with the domestic birds, I have no problem with that. Also sad that with all our knowledge we can not bring back wild birds, because of mismanagement of raptors. Worse yet many people can not see that predation can even be a factor. Game management should be based on numbers, not emotional regulations. If one thinks that is alright, then why hunt anything. If they would stop stocking domestic pheasants we would lose most all pheasant hunters in PA. And for those who do not believe that predators eat a lot of these domestic birds, just like they did the wild birds of the past, then why not just put out all the pheasants in the summer when half grown. They would have plenty of food at this time of the year and the summer cover would be thick. Would save on feed costs, and let these great domestic birds get wilder. Well we all know the reason for this, the predators would have them cleaned out by hunting season. I remember the false hope that was spread by some back when they tried the failed reintroduction of the pheasants. I remember the ones that criticized me for saying it would not work because of the predation by uncontrolled raptor numbers. However after several years, what I said would happen, did, the raptors basically wiped them out, just like they did the wild birds. Some people will say and believe anything, they should base their thoughts on past history, and realize that if you repeat the same mistakes over again, you have a good chance of getting the same results. For the guys that said they were going to bring back wild pheasants, thru good habitat, how are the wild birds doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

R.S.B. and Lynn, you gentlemen post ad nauseum in an attempt to dispel the "dumb stocked pheasant" misnomer. It's comical what the "anti's" come up with.

I spend hours upon hours in the nastiest of cover with my pointing dogs, trying to get these "dumb birds" to present a shot or even show themselves for that matter. It is truly amazing how often my dogs are convinced they are standing on top of a bird, and then the doggone thing slips out the side door and either wild flushes out of range or vanishes altogether.

My puppy (11 months) and I were playing a very interesting game in some switchgrass and snow two weekends ago. The birds were down in the "tunnels" under the surface and my poor pup was winding them in the openings and pointing mystery scent. Never did catch up with one of those ones.

I'm fortunate enough to put a lot of birds in the bag, and honestly I take offense when people imply that you can just walk into a field, whack your two and leave.

Yesterday morning, my son and I hunted 5 hours and covered 5.8 miles of some NASTY terrain. We managed two birds. One hen early in the day, and the second was a BEAUTIFUL rooster which my dog pinned down and my son flushed and put a great shot on just before we quit at lunchtime. What an awesome morning afield, and what a wonderful lesson for my boy about hard work and perseverance.

If pheasant hunting isn't for you, so be it. Don't buy a stamp and go do something more to your taste.

But I challenge any of you to hunt some of the places where these birds have had a chance to acclimate and spread out and then tell me they are easy quarry. That is wrong. Heck, go take a walk with RSB in his stomping grounds. Trust me, I've been there. You'll return to your vehicle all cut up with your tongue dragging on the ground. And you'll also think twice about saying these birds are easy !

The "hawks and owls" talk makes me throw up in my garbage can because I really have heard enough....

These are the good old days.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:37 AM

I just returned from a wild pheasant hunt in South Dakota earlier this month where we managed to shoot 54 birds a day between 17 guys in under 3 hrs each day. I'm not a fan of Pa domestic pheasant hunting. It isn't the running birds that bother me, but more so the number of hunters gathered at SGL's and the danger it poses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

He's hunting with 17 guys and he's worried about PA pheasant hunters being too close. I'll also bet many of the birds they shot were released birds. There's thousands of game farm pheasants released in SD. I've watched waves of hunters going through the same fields and killing every rooster that flushes. Wild birds can't take that kind of pressure. Magically the next day they are back.😊
cmrosko, OAWC and Grouse28 like this.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co_Archer View Post
I just returned from a wild pheasant hunt in South Dakota earlier this month where we managed to shoot 54 birds a day between 17 guys in under 3 hrs each day. I'm not a fan of Pa domestic pheasant hunting. It isn't the running birds that bother me, but more so the number of hunters gathered at SGL's and the danger it poses.
Sounds like you aren't putting the legwork in. Gotta get away from the parking lots. Last Friday, my dog and I were the only ones where we hunted. Never heard another shotgun fired. I got two. Saturday, my son and I encountered two other hunting parties. Two guys beating the brush on a remote hillside (they found birds there but I think there was a lot of missing going on !) and one in the parking lot as we were loading up to go home. We saw 9 birds and got the two.

The persons affiliated with the PGC here on this board can speak to the "dangers it poses". Not so sure there are a significant amount of PA pheasant hunting shooting injuries/fatalities year to year....

These are the good old days.

Last edited by TucksDad; 11-25-2019 at 07:30 AM.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucksDad View Post
R.S.B. and Lynn, you gentlemen post ad nauseum in an attempt to dispel the "dumb stocked pheasant" misnomer. It's comical what the "anti's" come up with.

I spend hours upon hours in the nastiest of cover with my pointing dogs, trying to get these "dumb birds" to present a shot or even show themselves for that matter. It is truly amazing how often my dogs are convinced they are standing on top of a bird, and then the doggone thing slips out the side door and either wild flushes out of range or vanishes altogether.

My puppy (11 months) and I were playing a very interesting game in some switchgrass and snow two weekends ago. The birds were down in the "tunnels" under the surface and my poor pup was winding them in the openings and pointing mystery scent. Never did catch up with one of those ones.

I'm fortunate enough to put a lot of birds in the bag, and honestly I take offense when people imply that you can just walk into a field, whack your two and leave.

Yesterday morning, my son and I hunted 5 hours and covered 5.8 miles of some NASTY terrain. We managed two birds. One hen early in the day, and the second was a BEAUTIFUL rooster which my dog pinned down and my son flushed and put a great shot on just before we quit at lunchtime. What an awesome morning afield, and what a wonderful lesson for my boy about hard work and perseverance.

If pheasant hunting isn't for you, so be it. Don't buy a stamp and go do something more to your taste.

But I challenge any of you to hunt some of the places where these birds have had a chance to acclimate and spread out and then tell me they are easy quarry. That is wrong. Heck, go take a walk with RSB in his stomping grounds. Trust me, I've been there. You'll return to your vehicle all cut up with your tongue dragging on the ground. And you'll also think twice about saying these birds are easy !

The "hawks and owls" talk makes me throw up in my garbage can because I really have heard enough....
For some the hawks and owls are not a problem, but for people who like good small game numbers they recognize the impacts of these predators. We can see what the lax attitude on proper predator control has led to. How are small game numbers in your area? Or are you one of the guys that bases your small game numbers on how many domestic birds are stocked. Bring your dogs down to my area and we can go on a wild pheasant hunt, you seem to like challenging hunting.
Asajoe1 likes this.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co_Archer View Post
I’ve hunted SD. You are clearly delusional if you think you were hunting “wild” birds. Many thousands of birds are stocked in SD. 54 birds in 3 hrs. is almost akin to shooting fish in a barrel. Common sense tells you that a truly wild population could not sustain that kind of harvest. If you were told they were wild birds, you were hoodwinked.
Not being critical just pointing out reality.
dce, dap and brittanyman like this.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

[QUOTE=TucksDad;3665793]

But I challenge any of you to hunt some of the places where these birds have had a chance to acclimate and spread out and then tell me they are easy quarry.

TucksDad is correct. These birds become crafty very quickly. Yes I have had two this year flush and land in a tree above them. They would not fly and just watched the dogs below. I just walk away and leave them for the stocking truck chasers so they can proudly fill their game bag. Those birds are the exception. Once they are out for a few days they are no different than birds from the 60’s, again a time when there were thousands of birds released in PA.
Very easy to criticize. I do agree that it is sad that we now have to depend on stocked birds.
cmrosko likes this.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:26 AM

PA releases about 200,000 pheasants. South Dakota releases almost 500,000, just the numbers they can count. They have no idea how many farmers release on their own.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 02:08 PM
dce
Sage

Two weeks ago my son shot a doe just before dark.We returned in the morning and found it right where we expected.As I was quartering it,I heard something behind me and turned around to see a small buck trot into about 20 yards.It stood there and watched us quarter this deer for at least a minute before walking away unconcerned.Was that a dumb,stocked deer?I hunt hunt stocked pheasants every saturday with my dog.We usually go in the middle of the day after untold numbers of dogs and hunters have worked through.Usually on the way there a rooster or two will be standing on or next to the road.Once we get back to where we're hunting,it's never easy.The dog is obviously on bird scent but in heavy cover they run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page