Rabbits and birds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes
  • 7 Post By jimbridger
  • 1 Post By loridr
  • 1 Post By NorthernPotterCo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Rabbits and birds

Hit the SGL intentionally late on Friday and found an empty parking lot. Got the dogs ready and went looking for rabbits. Well we flushed 4 roosters and a hen before they found a rabbit to run. While the dogs were doing what they do, I stood on the road and watched /listened to the 3 mile chase. Seen the rabbit 5 times and had possible shots 4 of those times. During the run they kicked up 3 more roosters that I seen and at least 3 more that I only heard. Plus there was a flush that sounded like a grouse, but I don't know, never seen it.

One of the Roosters flushed landed on the road I was on and seemed to listen to the chase like I was doing right up until I heard a beeping sound, than it ran into cover. Sure enough a lab and hunter came out of the brush we talked I told him about the birds and the one on the road. He asked how far down I went. And went down the road to hunt. He was coming back when I shot the rabbit so I held the hounds by collar having left the leads back at the truck. He headed to the parking lot and I went down where he was and promptly flushed 2 birds and started a rabbit. As the rabbit passed me on the road I just stayed put and allowed the hounds to circle. When I looked down the road I seen two light colored bird dogs working the sides of the road. The rabbit was headed my way so I turned to watch as I did there were a quick 2 shots behind me. As the dogs got closer a rooster came running out across the road followed by the rabbit and the hounds a little later. Stopped the hounds on the next pass and headed back to a empty parking lot.

All in all a good day. Just surprised there were so many birds and so few hunters. Usually this place has a full parking lot until there are very few birds left. Waugh!
Zeke, timberdoodle, loridr and 4 others like this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:10 PM
The Man

Great day, good dog work Jim.
jimbridger likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage

I've yet to see a hen bird all the pheasants have been cock birds so far.

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:46 PM

My hounds have flushed 5 pheasant this season. One was a hen.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:52 PM

sounds like an eventful time out. sounds like your dogs had a good run, bet they were tired when they got home
jimbridger likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
sounds like an eventful time out. sounds like your dogs had a good run, bet they were tired when they got home

The Male was not phased but the female has issues and could not go the net day. Still working on her issues.

I run hare so these 3 mile runs on rabbits are just a walk in the park. Not to say they are not a challenge just that the distance is not excessive for my hounds. Three miles in Pa on a cotton tail is nothing compared to 12 miles on a hare. But than again 3 miles on a cotton tail is a heck of a better run than a short 3 mile hare run. JMHO. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page