The week's adventures - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By RyanR
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The week's adventures

Well, starting last Tuesday I was off all week and then Veterans Day too. It's my annual bird hunting "staycation" where the dogs & I make day trips to various gamelands and other public hunting grounds. All told we hit 7 different state gamelands and 2 state parks, all in the Northeast Region. 3 of these were places I had never hunted before (which is always my goal during this week.) PA sure is a beautiful place. The grouse hunting was poor with nary a confirmed bird moved and the woodcock were very, very few (I think most of the birds moved thru just prior) but we moved pheasants and quite a bit of them and I bagged my limit several days off some nice dog work. We also saw quite a bit of wildlife too including a real nice bear, a big dead coyote, several bald eagles, a mink, a close up porcupine encounter (that went very well), a few foxes and a bunch of deer including some very nice bucks. It was a fun week for both dogs and hunter. We hunted in 60 degree weather and 20 degree weather, in sun, rain and even snow. The only disappointment really was in not at least moving some grouse which hasn't happened previously.

Early Saturday morning we did have one really sad encounter in a favorite grouse cover. I had a nice 8 pointer get up from its bed in front of me. I saw right away that it's right rear leg was badly broken and it looked like the left read was badly injured too. The poor thing was struggling to stand and walk, mostly just using its front legs. Had a little chaos when the dogs discovered the crippled deer but I got them to leave it alone (with a little convincing) and I loaded them up in the truck to just leave the cover entirely. The buck was in really sad shape, I think it got hit by a vehicle and I don't think it survived the night because the coyotes probably got it if it did

I'll be real honest, if I'd have had anything but steel bird shot, like a sidearm or something on me I would've been hard pressed not to do the truly ethical thing (but yes, illegal) and put that poor thing out of its misery. I couldn't stop thinking about that poor thing after that.

Last edited by RyanR; 11-12-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:08 PM

Sounds like a fun week.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:32 PM
The Man

Glad you and the dogs had a good hunt. Too bad about that buck, but it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Well, starting last Tuesday I was off all week and then Veterans Day too. It's my annual bird hunting "staycation" where the dogs & I make day trips to various gamelands and other public hunting grounds. All told we hit 7 different state gamelands and 2 state parks, all in the Northeast Region. 3 of these were places I had never hunted before (which is always my goal during this week.) PA sure is a beautiful place. The grouse hunting was poor with nary a confirmed bird moved and the woodcock were very, very few (I think most of the birds moved thru just prior) but we moved pheasants and quite a bit of them and I bagged my limit several days off some nice dog work. We also saw quite a bit of wildlife too including a real nice bear, a big dead coyote, several bald eagles, a mink, a close up porcupine encounter (that went very well), a few foxes and a bunch of deer including some very nice bucks. It was a fun week for both dogs and hunter. We hunted in 60 degree weather and 20 degree weather, in sun, rain and even snow. The only disappointment really was in not at least moving some grouse which hasn't happened previously.

Early Saturday morning we did have one really sad encounter in a favorite grouse cover. I had a nice 8 pointer get up from its bed in front of me. I saw right away that it's right rear leg was badly broken and it looked like the left read was badly injured too. The poor thing was struggling to stand and walk, mostly just using its front legs. Had a little chaos when the dogs discovered the crippled deer but I got them to leave it alone (with a little convincing) and I loaded them up in the truck to just leave the cover entirely. The buck was in really sad shape, I think it got hit by a vehicle and I don't think it survived the night because the coyotes probably got it if it did

I'll be real honest, if I'd have had anything but steel bird shot, like a sidearm or something on me I would've been hard pressed not to do the truly ethical thing (but yes, illegal) and put that poor thing out of its misery. I couldn't stop thinking about that poor thing after that.
This post could use some dog work pictures.
NorthernPotterCo likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, I know. I wish I had some too but I just rarely even think about taking photos in that moment. There were 2 particular moments though this last week that I wanted to take a photo but left my phone in the truck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:31 AM

sounds like a good time , a shame about the injured buck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page