Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:39 AM

nothing wrong with that. nice video!!

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:12 AM
dce
Sage

You never have to but to each his own.I took my son and two of his friends out the first day of the youth season.We had over 20 birds up and combined,his two friends shot over 60 shots without cutting a feather.I was standing with his one friend when one ran out in front of the dog and stood 20 feet away.He pulled up to shoot and I stopped him.Later,when he was out of my direct control but with another adult,he ground pounded one.He knew I didn't want birds shot on the ground for a variety of reasons,safety being number one but he did it anyway.I thought about chewing the kid out but my son took care of that for me.He won't let the kid hunt with us anymore.I personally feel that shooting them on the ground is bush league.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I do not think you would be hunting with me my dog is more important than a bird. Just to many things that can and usually will go wrong.
JoeG52 likes this.
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:24 AM

to each his own, if it works for you, go right ahead. dont ever let anyone else tell you what to do as long as what you do is legal!!

but i do agree, if someone invites you to hunt with them and their dogs, its done their way.
loridr and Asajoe1 like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 AM

If I shoot any birds this year it will probably be with a rifle, on the ground. If I was hunting with birddogs, I would not want people shooting birds on the ground. When rabbit hunting with my dogs , and I have other people hunting with me , a hunt can end real quick if others decide they need to jump shoot rabbits. No one wants their dog shot, and we try to prevent that. Hunting without dogs, do what you want, as long as your legal and not endangering others.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:40 AM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
to each his own, if it works for you, go right ahead. dont ever let anyone else tell you what to do as long as what you do is legal!!

but i do agree, if someone invites you to hunt with them and their dogs, its done their way.
How someone could get any adrenaline rush out of ground swatting a stocked bird is beyond me,dog or no dog.I wouldn't let a kid do it,let alone an adult.To each his own I guess but I have no respect for any adult who would shoot a stationary pheasant with a shotgun.
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

No dogs involved here. I was the only one hunting and the only vehicle in the parking lot. I guess the wind and rain kept everyone away.
I certainly agree, if a dog is involved it's a different ballgame. Heck, if I had a dog it would have made locating and flushing those birds much easier.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=dce;3645529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

but i do agree, if someone invites you to hunt with them and their dogs, its done

How someone could get any adrenaline rush out of ground swatting a stocked bird is beyond me,dog or no dog.I wouldn't let a kid do it,let alone an adult.To each his own I guess but I have no respect for any adult who would shoot a stationary pheasant with a shotgun.
I'm curious if you flush turkeys before you shoot?
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Sage

Really, you are going to fall back on that weak excuse? Hunting turkeys is not recognized as a wing shooting sport. I would not hunt hunt or be in the same field with anyone who ground swats pheasants, grouse, doves or waterfowl or any other game bird. Rabbits don't fly, that is why we shoot them on the ground. I sure would not have made a video memorializing ground swatting birds.
dce and Lynnappelman like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in