Wonderful Days Of Squirrel Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Wonderful Days Of Squirrel Hunting

I'm ready!! Sighted in the Mossberg S46M this morning at twenty five and fifty yards. Twenty five yard mark ten shots at 3/8 inch and fifty at 1/2 inch. Also checked the Remington Matchmaster same yardage, 3/8 inches both targets. When to a GC range thinking it would not be crowded as it is a work day. Ha!! Packed!! Went to a Sportsman paid range and was alone and relaxed. So, for Saturday - coffee, sandwich, and a nap, maybe even a couple squirrels. Be hunting them from age 10 to now 72 with a few years off helping Old Uncle Sam. To all you squirrel hunters, be safe and enjoy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:13 PM

sounds like you`re ready to go and a plan laid out . good luck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:33 AM
The Man

We will be after them also as soon as the muzzleloader season is over. Good luck!!

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Best of luck..... Enjoy and be safe...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Love squirrel hunting. This will be my 48th year chasing bushytails. Even after all those years I have never become tired of hunting them. Have several dedicated rifle squirrel rigs. Going to try a 17HM2 this year along with two other favorite 22's. Looking forward to Saturday morning!

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

My first favorite for squirrel is the Mossberg S46M with the original 4X Mossberg scope. I have the trigger adjusted down very light, and when I get a shot in clean woods out to one hundred yards, I take it, but only on the ground. The Matchmaster is a great sit and shoot rifle, too heavy for all day sneaking around. I do use shooting sticks most always. Golf club shafts banded together, the handles are padded to protect my stock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinmaker View Post
My first favorite for squirrel is the Mossberg S46M with the original 4X Mossberg scope. I have the trigger adjusted down very light, and when I get a shot in clean woods out to one hundred yards, I take it, but only on the ground. The Matchmaster is a great sit and shoot rifle, too heavy for all day sneaking around. I do use shooting sticks most always. Golf club shafts banded together, the handles are padded to protect my stock.
If forced to pick a favorite it would have to be my Ruger 77/22 All-Weather VBZ 22LR. It is topped with a Leupold VX3 6.5 x 20 AO scope. The scope is a new and recent addition and replaces the old Leupold VARI-X IIc 4x12 AO that I put on it originally when I bought the rifle new in the mid 1990's. The trigger was worked over by an old friend of mine ( an excellent gunsmith) and breaks right at 2 pounds. This thing drives tacks. I have a small stash of the now long discontinued Western "Super Match" Mark III target ammo. I use it only for squirrel hunting! For the first time ever I am also carrying shooting sticks. I tried them this summer at the range and was impressed with them. Good luck to you tomorrow and all the other dedicated squirrel snipers. I am excited about it even after all these years!

9th Inf. Division

Last edited by WildTigerTrout; 10-18-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:37 PM
The Man

One of my favorite things to hunt at least once a season... Sitting up against a tree and calling them into your boots using an inverted open reed predator call. The barks of the squirrel made on that call is awesome.. Try all of you open reed calls for the best one that sounds like a squirrel bark.. Inverted pulling air over the reed make outstanding barks. I like the older Tally Ho predator call the best for the barking... I do use either a pump 410 choked full or a Stoeger 410 S by S coach gun choked IC M.. Like I said I call them right to my boots.. Also baked in a roaster with pieces of cabbage, potatoes, onions and carrots all around a few squirrel don't taste half bad either.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:08 PM

I started hunting squirrels when I was 8 years old...Got three that year.. 74 now but haven't hunted them for a few years, but I still love to hunt them....

Curious to know what ammo you are using in your 22's. My favorite is 22 shorts...they are not loud and do not scare other squirrels in the immediate area into hiding. They also make a "POP" sound on a good hit....

Head shots are the way to go....

My two favorite rifles are a Browning BL 22 and a Ruger bolt.....

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 PM

I am going to try a new rifle tomorrow. A Savage Mark II 17HM2. It is topped with a Leupold VX Freedom Rimfire MOA 2x7. I managed to bag my limit on Saturday morning with my old Ruger 77/22. Hope I can do the same Monday morning with this one. It likes CCI just a little bit better than the Hornady although both will work.

9th Inf. Division

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in