Flying Squirrels in Erie County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Flying Squirrels in Erie County

The Northern Flying Squirrel is on the endangered list and the last documented confirmed sighting closest to Erie County is Warren County. Considering the county line is about a half hour from me isn't entirely impossible to have a migration. The thing is I have one seen a flying squirrel twice and both times in my small property and both times death via feline has occurred.

The 1st time was 15-16 years ago. My all black guard cat named Panther was a highly skilled hunter and defender. Once I saw him stalking a black lab that was sniffing around our cook out fire for scraps. I was getting ready for work and watching this event unfold as I sipped my orange juice. The dog was unaware of the pending peril. Panther, stalking the dog as if it were a mouse, finally got close enough and jumped up and onto the dog's front shoulders and clawed its nose. The dog shook the cat off and was NEVER seen again. Panther just proudly walked away.

Back to the squirrel. One Saturday I was walking around the house and passing my grill where I saw a rodent laying on the side shelf. I stopped to look at it and was surprised to see it was a squirrel. If you have ever seen a squirrel/cat fight it can be serious so I was amazed I had not heard anything. Further inspection revealed it was a flying squirrel. That was 16 years ago.

A couple days ago my wife finds a "present" from one of the young cats and she thought it was a baby gray squirrel because it was the size of a chipmunk but no stripes. After looking at it closer we find it was indeed a young flying squirrel.

I just don't get how I never see them on my small property and yet 2x they have been found here.

Has anyone else seen sitings especially in Erie County?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Sage

Re: Flying Squirrels in Erie County

Call the regional office and ask that their biologist come look at it. If they are there, it would indeed be a cool find.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM

I have several spots in Erie county that seem to have a good population of flying squirrels. One spot, that I don't hunt anymore, had a LOT of them and was next to the Millcreek Mall. I think they're more common around here than previously believed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalThatFishes
Call the regional office and ask that their biologist come look at it. If they are there, it would indeed be a cool find.
I would love to do that but cats being what they are finished it up.

What I don't understand is how they got it / them in the 1st place.

Panther I can understand because that cat had mojo. One day I went outside and found a dead woodpecker about 9+ inches long.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C
I have several spots in Erie county that seem to have a good population of flying squirrels. One spot, that I don't hunt anymore, had a LOT of them and was next to the Millcreek Mall. I think they're more common around here than previously believed.
That is very interesting. I had wondered if by chance we had the Southern Flying Squirrel in our area which is not "endangered" but from what I read they are in the Southernmost part of the Commonwealth and more Eastern. Biologists seem to know SO much.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM

I live in Northern Butler County and I saw a flying squirrel alive a couple years ago. My brother and I were checking archery stands and something had built a nest in his seat. When he flipped it over this flying squirrel came busting out at him. He freaked and shimmied up the tree like a bear, flying squirrel coming right after him.

I was standing on the ground laughing until it launched itself off the tree, legs wide open, gliding right at me. Pretty awesome.

They are a nocturnal animal, that is why you don't see them. I guess the only way to find them in the day is disturb one like we did.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Theres a campground in Maffey Pa everyone there puts sunflower seeds out for them. There is alot of those buggers there too! never saw one before until I went there pretty intresting creatures.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkin
The thing is I have one seen a flying squirrel twice and both times in my small property and both times death via feline has occurred.
I would have a talk with my neighbors about them letting their cats run loose and their killing of wildlife. It is really a shame how many rabbits and songbirds are killed by people's pets each year. Maybe instead of shooting chipmunks and red squirrels with your air rifles, you should start targeting cats.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
The Man

I saw a flying squirrel while fishing a backcountry stream north of Jim Thorpe. It "flew" (glided?) out from a tree very close to us. I never saw one before or since, but it was very cool to see one at such close range.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Usually have them at the bird feeders during the summer. Mostly at night,(they are nocturnal) the kids hear em and get their flashlights to see them raiding the feeders....and being met by those big eyes staring back at em. Two summers ago, we had one get stuck inside..

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page