Shut Down The Grouse Season! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Shut Down The Grouse Season!

It's time to act and shut down the grouse season. We lobbied for a shortened season and got it and now it's time to act responsible and save our remaining resource before it's to late.
NJ HAS JUST SHUT DOWN THEIR SEASON effective immediately and other states are considering the same.
Some won't like it, but the time has come . Let's put the same effort in saving the birds as we did in hunting them!
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news...use_closed.htm
bohunr, Buckskin Dave and br1k like this.

Last edited by BRN2RUN; 07-18-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Well I don't think NJ is exactly a stellar model for us to follow. They have fewer birds than us to begin with. What are you basing this opinion on?

The hawks are killing everything.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:45 PM

I hunted grouse in the 70-80-91. I hunted all of early season Saturdays, 3 weeks vacation, the late season plus OH on all the Sundays until the third week of Feb. If I got two PA grouse early in the day I was off for the 25 minute drive to Ohio to hunt the rest of the day or until I got my 3 bird limit.

Then I moved out of State until 2000 shooting 3 total in both states the year I returned. I quickly realizing the population was in serious trouble, so I shut down my personal season at the end of that year and have not hunted them since nor have I seen over 3 grouse since 2000.

I love to hunt grouse and hope they come back strong, if not during my time, but for future hunting.
bohunr, fall gobbler and BRN2RUN like this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:01 PM
The Man

So because you wouldn't recognize a grouse if it landed on your head we should shut down the season? The past 2 years have been some of my best seasons ever, especially when it comes to grouse bagged.

Did you even read the press release? Hunting us not the problem, habitat is. NJ is at 1% ESH, think that might be the problem? Pa is at 6%, when we should be at 16%, think that might be the problem? So instead of holding the GC accountable for the habitat goals the promised in their grouse plan, your solution is to just shut down the entire season.

But go for it, I'll start hunting NY, slide over to Michigan for 2 weeks, back to NY until the snows get to deep, and then drop down to WV. You'll never see me hunt Pa again and I'll push even harder to have the GC ended and rolled into DCNR.
RyanR, PBR and flintlock hunter like this.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRN2RUN View Post
It's time to act and shut down the grouse season. We lobbied for a shortened season and got it and now it's time to act responsible and save our remaining resource before it's to late.
NJ HAS JUST SHUT DOWN THEIR SEASON effective immediately and other states are considering the same.
Some won't like it, but the time has come . Let's put the same effort in saving the birds as we did in hunting them!
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news...use_closed.htm
You're kind of late to the party aren't you? The PGC effectively shut the grouse season down already when they decided to ignore their own requirements for habitat creation for the past two plus decades. If they somehow miraculously caught up on all their timbering tomorrow it would be another decade before those cuts supported ruffed grouse, and then where would the birds come from to occupy that cover? Pa small game hunting is history and will likely never come back.
Last season I hunted grouse 43 days and only 2 of those days were in Pennsylvania. This year I'll likely not bother to buy a PA license, what for? I'd say it's already pretty well shut down from a practical standpoint.

Last edited by wingshot; 07-18-2019 at 04:40 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Let's face it, the PGC is concerned with keeping people in deer. If they bark they listen.

Granted the weather stank last year, 80's first week or so then rain, rain and oh more rain. I didn't fire a shot at anything all season, until the last day of flintlock when I took a poke at a doe.

I've already decided that this is the year. I either have a good year or this is it for flushing money and time on hunting. The last 3 years I've seen 1 grouse, and I just so happened to have my 22 for squirrel. 2011 was the last year that we saw any number of grouse, and that was 4 for the year.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:48 AM

So if do away with mans hunting season, which may count for a few grouse, what about the largest amount that are killed by predators? How are you going to stop the real predators? Raptors have been lowering all small game animals since they were protected. And then what about the habitat, hard to get any large amount of improvement there. Shutting down the season is not going to bring back grouse.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

In NC PA I've found the grouse population, at least in a small area, to be increasing. One day last year while archery hunting I flushed 12 grouse and saw multiple grouse along the road driving back to camp. This was all in about 100 acre area with heavy regeneration of different stages. We need to create the habitat for them.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM

I agree it's about the habitat. On several game lands here in the NE they did some section cutting of tall timber of hundreds of acres pieces. All the trees were just left, the ground growth now after a couple years or so, combined with the fallen trees make it impenetrable to hunt. You literally couldn't fall down in there if you tried as the growth would keep you upright. It may be good cover for small game, birds (maybe help the grouse), coyotes, etc. But they've essentially removed that land from being hunted. A dog would never get through. I don't understand it, if that's their attempt at habitat improvement. Yes there's other land to hunt, but doesn't make sense to me.....but I'm no forester, or a biologist.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
There are not enough grouse hunters left in Pa to make a bit of difference one way or the other. Habitat. Grouse have to have a habitat to thrive in.
Davy Crockett likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in