Quail in Maryland - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quail in Maryland

I have read several posts about wild quail in Maryland. I was wondering if anybody knows how the numbers are, the general location and if it would be worth trying to hunt down there at all. Living in Adams county, Marryland would not be far at all depending on a possible location. It may be worth looking into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Quail in Maryland

Yes there are some wild quail in Maryland...BUT they are declining there also.Millington WMA used to offer some very limited hunting for them,but I believe that has been closed to quail hunting,while they do some habitat work to try to increase there numbers there.If you were lucky enough to have access to some private land it might be worth a trip.

Head West young man! LOL

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I would love to go west. But I work in the schools and I just don't have enough time to drive out west, hunt and get back home. Perhaps some day I'll get out. I may have to try and go south instead but I don't know much (anything realy) about the quail numbers in the south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

bwire,
I wouldn't count on the south for wild quail. A few years back I worked some dogs for 2 doctors from Macon, Ga. They were old country boys and resourceful men. They hunted their quail in Texas. They also liked to hunt grouse with me in Pa. They claimed except for a few plantations in south Georgia that there were no truly wild, huntable quail in Ga. They claimed that the plantations that offer quail hunting were supplementing the populations with hidden johnny houses.
Tom

Dog Forum Sponsor. http://knobmtnkennel.com/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobmtn
bwire,
I wouldn't count on the south for wild quail. A few years back I worked some dogs for 2 doctors from Macon, Ga. They were old country boys and resourceful men. They hunted their quail in Texas. They also liked to hunt grouse with me in Pa. They claimed except for a few plantations in south Georgia that there were no truly wild, huntable quail in Ga. They claimed that the plantations that offer quail hunting were supplementing the populations with hidden johnny houses.
Tom
I believe that.

My unscientific opinion is that the decline has as much to do with genetics as with habitat. Literally, millions of domesticated quail have been released over the years. Many of these have cross-bred with the wild strain. I imagine that that has a lot to do with the way things are now. One of the few birds that sustains itself well in the east as long as it has decent habitat is the grouse. They are one of the few gamebirds that cannot be raised in captivity.

I have raised many kinds of gamebirds. For those that don't know, you can get a species that has been selectively bred for a variety of traits. A couple examples: jumbo bobwhites are popular with people who raise gamebirds. These are about twice the size of a wild bobwhite and are not nearly as good a flyer. The same is true of jumbo pheasants. They are the same species but have been genetically altered by selective breeding.

Another example. A pekin duck is genetically a mallard. They are the result of centuries of selectively breeding mallards for white color and meat production. Today, the pekin is an all white duck that is 3-4 times the size of a mallard and is too big to fly. Many of the pheasant and quail that are released are to wild birds what a pekin duck is to a mallard - the same species but not viable in the wild. A pekin, like a released pheasant or quail, will cross breed with mallards if given the opportunity. The result is offspring that is not adapted to survive in the wild.

Now the introduction of disease is another problem but we can save that for another time.

I am no scientist but in my simple logic, I don't think that releasing less-than-wild birds is going to anything but bad things for the wild populations.

Think about what would happen is we started releasing farm raised deer by the thousands every year. The wild deer would change as a species.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Take a look at the size difference:

http://www.gundogbirds.com/html/birds.html

and this

http://www.meadows-quailfarm.com/Geo...ite-Quail.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

I talked with the gamebird biologist and he confirmed that quail have declined significantly even in the past 10 years. There are small covies of quail here and there but they are basically a trophy species at this point.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwire
I have read several posts about wild quail in Maryland. I was wondering if anybody knows how the numbers are, the general location and if it would be worth trying to hunt down there at all. Living in Adams county, Marryland would not be far at all depending on a possible location. It may be worth looking into.
Maybe you should look at Ohio!They have quail,and they aren't that far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page