Pre Season Grouse - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Pre Season Grouse

Anyone been out in the woods and seeing birds? The dog and I have unfortunately not got to go out since early spring after getting a new house. Saw an encouraging number of birds early, but it has been quiet on this board and wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything so far this summer. Don't care where in PA, just looking to live vicariously until I can sneak away from the nauseating amount of house work I have been told needs to be completed prior to my disappearing act come fall. Have not even fly fished yet this year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:36 AM

I have seen 3 grouse in PA in the last 18 years.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I guess that is better than 0... Although I am over double digits this year all in the southwest. My goal is going to be to find a Washington county grouse this year. It will be preseason though, so he will get to live. Not that is different during the season.
Born2Hunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage

I've seen a few this year but so far no chicks. Heard some drumming as well.

wmu 3A
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:35 PM

I have seen several grouse this spring including at least one brood. May have seen two broods. Not sure of the one brood if they were grouse or pheasants. I didn't get to see the hen, just the grass moving as she was running away. I almost ran over a bunch of chicks with the tractor but fortunately got stopped in time to watch them, what every they were, scurrying off after mom.

I purposely don't work my dog this time of the year because of all the chicks out there.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:54 PM
The Man

I'll know more in a couple weeks when I head north to start working dogs. Havent been on my bike much, and when I and when I do get out, its too wet to get back in where I would expect to find brooods

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

RSB, understand the concern with chicks, when do you generally feel they are strong enough to start working the dogs?

Jeff,
It has definitely been another wet year so far. How is the new pup doing, can't wait to meet her!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Sage

Saw one on a hike on gamelands yesterday along with a bear and yellow phase rattler. New record for me two rattlers in two years.

wmu 3A
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousen'at View Post
RSB, understand the concern with chicks, when do you generally feel they are strong enough to start working the dogs?

Jeff,
It has definitely been another wet year so far. How is the new pup doing, can't wait to meet her!
I generally don't work my dog in areas where young chicks are likely to be encountered until September.

There is local beagle club where guys are running their beagles all summer so I will occasionally take him there for a summer run. I take him there partly because there are a lot of ponds for him to get in and cool down though during the heat of summer.

I will also take him with me sometimes when I hike or bike some of the game lands roads, but make him stay close instead of being off hunting.

Dick Bodenhorn
Bull likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:16 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousen'at View Post
Jeff,
She is still all pup, not enough maturity yet to want to introduce birds. I'll be getting here brother in a few weeks to train up to hunting season, depending when he goes back to Va, you might get to hunt behind him, also.

Rain around my house hasn't been bad as other parts of the state. After tonights storm, I jumped on my bike for a wet ride, did see 1 brood of grouse with 4 chicks. Also saw a hen turkey that only had one chick following her.

Get your work caught up so you can make our August gathering, even if you just come up for a day.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page