A good place for grouse? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

A good place for grouse?

I've got a 11 month GSP thats doing great on released birds. Not real steady on point yet but hey he's still a pup. I'm 42 yrs old and this is all new to me as well but our kids are coming of hunting age so its a great time for us all to learn together! I'm wondering if theres any good grouse area in the Indiana/Blairsville area? I dont mind driving within reason either.

Be Good, be Careful, but most of all be KIND--Words from my late Father
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Sage

Re: A good place for grouse?

No one is going to point you in on good grouse areas. Good grouse coverts are hard to find. You will have to do what everyone else does, start walking and look for them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 PM
New Arrival

I rarely post anything but the last response inspired me. We like to go behing the Golden Pheasent off 286 between Saltsburg and Indiana. There is a bunch of woodland back there. Its been know to produce some fast moving grouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a lot of ground behind the golden pheasant to hunt, especially the right side of the road on your way in. There are some gas wells where you can park and hunt through the grapevines. There are some places behind the jacksonville medical center as well, which is only up the road another 1/2 mile headed towards saltsburg.

Free Madcatter!
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM

this would be a good time for the mods to delete specific locations! I don't even know the area at all but that might be somebodies honey hole that they scouted and found and now any body can go right to with out doing any of the work and shoot it out. Very unsportsman like. I am all for helping people and if you wanted to give a specific spot a pm and would have worked just fine.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

First it's public land managed by the game commission so there is no such thing as somebodies honey hole. Second it's one of my best rabbit hunting spots, and I would gladly take anyone out there to hunt.

Too many people think they own the woods, and those "honey holes".

Free Madcatter!
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm lookin for a spot that holds a 160 to 180 class buck every year... Anyone help me out? Also would be nice if there was a loggin road close by that I could drive in to. I don't like to drag em,, lol just kidding ( about the road) ha ha

aim small
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Rob and John PA, thanks a bunch! I've got a vacation day coming up for nothing less than Father/Son time and now I know where were going!

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

And I thought the title of this forum was pretty self explanatory . I was gonna just let it go but then again...Why should I when I posted a proper question in the proper forum!

Small Game Forum (16 viewing)
Where's the best place for grouse? How about rabbit? This is the place to ask these questions.
Moderator: HuntPA, great white hunter, corey22

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 AM
New Arrival

A good way to find grouse is to study them and put the time in if you are really serious about. I am still always looking for good places to hunt them. Dont have nearly enough covers to hunt myself. I hunt all public land and dont want to over hunt any area. When you finally find an area it is so much more rewarding to just see one flush much less get a shot. I personally am always willing to help someone starting out but would never tell exactly where I hunt. It is what it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page