Bob white quail webinar - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Bob white quail webinar

I watched the 50 minute presentation, it was about the PGC's plans to reintroduce wild quail and how and where they are going to start, in fact they have already started to do some work on the first site which is Letterkenny Army Depot. It was interesting and informative. Everyone who watched the webinar is supposed to a copy attached to an e-mail. I will post the link when I receive it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Build the habitat and they will be fine. Just like the pheasants and grouse😜
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks, I’ll watch it. I am excited that they may be restored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 PM

It would be very cool to have a huntable population of wild quail again. However, I believe that the effort will be similar to the wild pheasant program. There will be some where there is well groomed habitat, but very few to none outside of those areas. JMO.
bad primer, Strut10 and Marcus99 like this.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Another PGC restoration program. I wish they'd get started on the moose restoration program, I've always wanted to shoot a wild moose and they were native to Pennsylvania. Now that they have the ruffed grouse and pheasant populations restored let's get started on the moose. The success of the quail restoration is a given.
Strut10 likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:20 PM

As long as we have an abundance of cooper hawks and sharpshinned hawks, you will not be able to bring back quail. You have to address the predation problems, or it will be like the pheasant project. If the quail project fails they can always blame it on westnile, funny thing is even though west nile is proven to be hard on hawks, owls ,crows and bluejays, these predators seem to be able to do well number wise, with west nile, however everything they prey on has dropped in numbers. Just a few facts. Quail numbers are way down , in the south even with good habitat. To increase a game population, you must increase reproduction, and decrease mortality, and if your main mortality factor is predation, you must lower predator numbers. This is the way science works, the results of the pheasant restoration areas show how nature works when you provide the great habitat, but do not address the predation problem, which in the case of pheasants, was raptors causing the most mortality.
wingshot, srr5008, Strut10 and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A few years ago, a coworker watched the PGC stock 5 pheasants across the road from his house. Next morning he grabbed his gun and took a walk. Found 5 piles of feathers. Fox and owls got them all.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
A few years ago, a coworker watched the PGC stock 5 pheasants across the road from his house. Next morning he grabbed his gun and took a walk. Found 5 piles of feathers. Fox and owls got them all.
Just exactly does that have to do with starting a program to reintroduce bob white quail in PA?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 05-04-2019 at 07:54 PM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Just exactly does that have to do with starting a program to reintroduce bob white quail in PA?
Sorry, should of carried it out a little. I have nothing but owls, hawks and fox around here. Hardly ever see a rabbit, never see a pheasant, and how many Quail will survive the onslaught.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Sorry, should of carried it out a little. I have nothing but owls, hawks and fox around here. Hardly ever see a rabbit, never see a pheasant, and how many Quail will survive the onslaught.
Yep, join the crowd, not just here in PA, people all over the country complain of low or decreasing small game numbers. As raptors increased in numbers, so did their impact on prey. Any animal, be it deer, bear, coyotes, if left completely uncontrolled will have an impact. Sadly its a federal law protecting the raptors, but I believe the states also have their protections on them. PA use to push for hunters and land owners to control raptors, because they thought they would lower game numbers. After the protection of raptors, the raptors increased in numbers and most everything they prey on dropped in numbers. Many people say that with good habitat, prey numbers will not be hurt by predation. I believe that the wolves out west proved, what an uncontrolled predator, can do to game numbers, with good habitat. One thing I have noticed and can not say its a fact, but raptors seem to have a more negative impact on feathered prey numbers. Could be owls are killing a lot of birds on the roost. As for the quail I believe it will be the small hawks that hold back the quail. Nothing else, we can always blame west nile.
Strut10 and ruger300 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page