Bob white quail webinar - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I swear you cannot make this crap up. This place is a gold mine.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Hunter/Trapper View Post
All wild pheasant I've seen have roosted in tree. If they didn't it would be a buffet for the predators just like the stocked pheasants are!

I never understood why you buy hatchery raised chickens and raise them with no mom and they always have the natural instinct to roost off the ground. Just weird that hatchery/ farm pheasants dont carry the same instinct. Even when we raise pheasants we offer them plenty of roosts and only a small percentage use them and rest choose to sleep on the ground.
You bet they did. I grew up in the 50's in Lebanon Co. I lived on a small farm and we had a pretty big orchard. Every evening the trees in the orchard would be full of pheasants. You could stand next to the barn before dusk and watch them come pouring in. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about. Wild chicks were taught to roots in trees by the hens. In fact game protector Turner would bring my dad eggs from hen that were hit by the sickle bars leaving the eggs in the nest during hay mowing. My dad would hatch them, put them in a brooder house under a hover and raise them op to a couple of weeks open the door and allow them to roam, they would come back to feed for a little while but they eventually threw in with the wild birds on our property. Young pheasants can fly very early and they mimicked what the adult birds did which was to roost in trees.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have no doubts some pheasants roost in trees, I've seen it. However I don't think they do it as widely as turkeys do as a species.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:11 PM

from my experience, many people think that Pheasants roost on the ground due to nesting on the ground.
nesting & roosting are 2 different activities and wild Pheasants roost in trees.
bpottorff and Woods walker like this.

NRA life member
DU member
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Regular Visitor

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only wild game birds that we have in pa that sleep on ground are woodcock, quail and maybe the common snipe?
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad primer View Post
from my experience, many people think that Pheasants roost on the ground due to nesting on the ground.
nesting & roosting are 2 different activities and wild Pheasants roost in trees.
You know your facts, some of the things that people state on here amaze me. Talk is cheap, but its not hard find a few older fellows that know what a wild pheasant does, and that is roost in trees. Nice to have a site on here where anyone can learn something. This whole roosting in tree or ground thing, reminds me of city folk, that think the meat at the grocery store is grown in the back room. But in all honesty one snowy night, while fox hunting, I jumped a hen bird out of a grass patch on the ground, while I was crossing thru it. Also remember pheasants flushing from the trees at night while doing a late night check of muskrat traps, always startled me, they were the good old days. Now a days most pheasants that would roost in a tree, especially when the leaves are off, is owl bait.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I swear you cannot make this crap up. This place is a gold mine.
This site is a good place to get accurate information, people make up all kinds of stuff, but the truth comes out. This place is a gold mine for learning the ways of hunting and nature. Even a city slicker can learn about pheasants, if he reads enough posts, after a while you will see facts, that dispel any fiction.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
This site is a good place to get accurate information, people make up all kinds of stuff, but the truth comes out. This place is a gold mine for learning the ways of hunting and nature. Even a city slicker can learn about pheasants, if he reads enough posts, after a while you will see facts, that dispel any fiction.
Not nearly as much as you think it is.

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 AM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Hunter/Trapper View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only wild game birds that we have in pa that sleep on ground are woodcock, quail and maybe the common snipe?
Ruffed grouse typically roost (sleep) on the ground. Per Bump et al in The Ruffed Grouse Life History, Propogation, Managment "Tree roosting is most frequent in conifers during winter and spring with only an occasional bird found there during other seasons."
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Not nearly as much as you think it is.
Yes every now and then we get wrong information, like the deal with pheasants not roosting in trees, but then along came several knowable site members, and got the facts straightened. Good site and for the most part, at the end of the conversation we get the correct answer, and learn something new. There are some guys that may live in the city, but like to hunt, that may not get the opportunities to see much of nature, this as we have seen is a good place to learn, from other people"s experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page