Bob white quail webinar - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
There is growing concern and belief by the wildlife biologists that West Nile Virus is affecting both turkey and grouse populations.
Unfortunately I think that's one of the silent predators that's putting such a hurting on are Turkey and grouse population in North East part of the state!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Regular Visitor

[QUOTE=Grouse28;3545821]Another failed experiment coming. We have proven that with isolated and manicured habitat we can establish a tenuous population of wild pheasants in one out of three or four areas in the state. We can do it with quail also, in a limited area. Then all sit back and bask in success.
However hollow and expensive that success may be. Will never work in a sustainable and huntable manner.

Wish it wasn't the case but your 100% right!!! Let's put are funds and efforts towards populations of game that we have already established in the state that are on the decline and need are help!!!

No different then my sons reptiles that need a special environment to survive. So we can imitate that with warmth and humidity and a controlled environment in a tank but they could never leave the tank cause rest of environment around is not suitable for there existence!!
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:12 PM

The different habitat can make some difference, but the prey has to come out of cover sometime. A few years ago the pheasant biologist told me that we need more continuous switchgrass cover. I thought this was odd as back in the pheasant heydays, I never remember seeing a blade of switch grass anywhere. He then told me that the switch grass was to provide protection from the avian predators that killed the most pheasants. I should have asked how to combat the problem of owls killing them out of roosting trees. All this round about way of trying to bring back small game, through habitat, since raptor were protected and increased in uncontrolled numbers is not working. Control predators, based on numbers not red tape and emotions. This is the way most other animals are hunted and controlled.
Grouse28 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:42 PM
dce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
The different habitat can make some difference, but the prey has to come out of cover sometime. A few years ago the pheasant biologist told me that we need more continuous switchgrass cover. I thought this was odd as back in the pheasant heydays, I never remember seeing a blade of switch grass anywhere. He then told me that the switch grass was to provide protection from the avian predators that killed the most pheasants. I should have asked how to combat the problem of owls killing them out of roosting trees. All this round about way of trying to bring back small game, through habitat, since raptor were protected and increased in uncontrolled numbers is not working. Control predators, based on numbers not red tape and emotions. This is the way most other animals are hunted and controlled.
Most stocked pheasants don't roost in trees.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Most stocked pheasants don't roost in trees.
Absolutely correct, they never learned how like the truly wild birds did.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:13 PM

I was talking about the wild birds, that were being reintroduced, and the wild ones raised by those birds.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Most of pheasants, period, don't roost in trees. Good Lord.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM

Here in PA before the pheasants were wiped out, I always saw pheasants roosting in trees. Were you alive back in the day when we had pheasant, or is that just a guess that most do not roost in trees, I am talking PA wild birds. I have no idea about western birds. When owls got plentiful, they killed many on the roost.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
Here in PA before the pheasants were wiped out, I always saw pheasants roosting in trees. Were you alive back in the day when we had pheasant, or is that just a guess that most do not roost in trees, I am talking PA wild birds. I have no idea about western birds. When owls got plentiful, they killed many on the roost.
All wild pheasant I've seen have roosted in tree. If they didn't it would be a buffet for the predators just like the stocked pheasants are!

I never understood why you buy hatchery raised chickens and raise them with no mom and they always have the natural instinct to roost off the ground. Just weird that hatchery/ farm pheasants dont carry the same instinct. Even when we raise pheasants we offer them plenty of roosts and only a small percentage use them and rest choose to sleep on the ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page