an end to pheasant hunting ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

an end to pheasant hunting ?

could this happen in PA ? or other states that release birds................

https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20...ional-seashore

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Sage

You have to consider where that happened! If PA ever becomes the leftist cesspool that Massachusetts is, I will be long gone before they ban pheasant hunting.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You have to consider where that happened! If PA ever becomes the leftist cesspool that Massachusetts is, I will be long gone before they ban pheasant hunting.
You also have to consider where the pheasants pheasants were being released. I don't think it's too hard of an argument to make that stocking these birds on the National Seashore was or could do more harm to the ecosystem, particularly the delicate grass habitat of a Seashore. And according to the article the argument was made that the stocking went directly against the National Park Service's own policy regarding releasing non-native wildlife.

I don't think it's an issue for state land here in PA but I can certainly see this becoming an issue for stockings on the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area- which the NPS can curtail at anytime.
Larry L. likes this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If present trends continue, the same is going to happen in Pennsylvania.

It is a shame but it seems that the lesson learned from the wild pheasant reintroduction is that pheasants can reproduce in PA but only in areas intensively managed for them. Since there is no way to intensively manage for pheasant statewide, the only pheasant hunting that we can expect is stocked birds. If the State can't sell enough pheasant permits, the stocking program will be canceled. It was almost canceled before the pheasant permit was started.

I would love to see the return of wild pheasants but it seems a grassland bird is not going to thrive in our habitat. I hope quail can be brought back as a substitute. The farms feel awful barren when devoid of game birds.
Danesdad, Vonfoust and Larry L. like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 PM

Anti hunting, anti gun , animal rights people will do anything to stop hunting. Liberals are out to get your hunting gun or your AR, they will try push their control, they see no reason for people to have guns. And any hunting they can stop, will result in less people using guns.
DIYASUB and thefirstndsecond like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 AM

Is there fat that could be cut from the Pheasant production side? A friend raises Pheasants under 5 acre of net. About 4 years ago he raised 15,000 birds with the aid of one young man. Wonder what is spent on the production end, by the state GC. Are there overseers Overseeing the overseers? Is this info available? Not the entire program cost, just the production cost.
dragman likes this.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Feroce View Post
Is there fat that could be cut from the Pheasant production side? A friend raises Pheasants under 5 acre of net. About 4 years ago he raised 15,000 birds with the aid of one young man. Wonder what is spent on the production end, by the state GC. Are there overseers Overseeing the overseers? Is this info available? Not the entire program cost, just the production cost.
How much more fat do you want trimmed? They closed 2 of the 4 game farms and continue to raise 200,000+ pheasants at just 2 farms now and each farm is operated and maintained by a small crew. They also no longer keep "breeder birds" over the winter. Over the last several years they have made a concerted effort to cut costs as much as they can. They've trimmed a couple million dollars off the cost. I think they are operating as efficiently as possible and still provide a quality birds for pheasant hunters to enjoy.

15,000 birds on 5 acres? Curious, how healthy were they and how well did they fly?
Larry L. likes this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 PM
Part of the Community

I think we are getting to the point where people are tired of fighting for hunting, gun ownership and self defense. When the time comes people will do what they want no matter what and we will have a much bigger issue going on.

Life should not be one fight right after another and this is at least what things have turned into since before I could remember.

Things are getting way out of hand and more and more people are disengaging and doing whatever they want.

AMGOA - FOAC
"Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms."
-- Andrew Ford
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:11 PM

The "real" pheasant hunting ended quite a few years ago. I grew up hunting pheasants during the heyday during the 60s when long-tailed native birds were abundant. I know guys who have purchased dogs and got into pheasant hunting in the past couple years. Going to a game lands and "shooting" birds right after a stocking is not comparable to "hunting" wild birds and they will unfortunately never know the difference.
Danesdad and Dean Conklin like this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post
The "real" pheasant hunting ended quite a few years ago. I grew up hunting pheasants during the heyday during the 60s when long-tailed native birds were abundant. I know guys who have purchased dogs and got into pheasant hunting in the past couple years. Going to a game lands and "shooting" birds right after a stocking is not comparable to "hunting" wild birds and they will unfortunately never know the difference.
I dont go on a stocking day and refuse to go on opening day. You are missing out if you are not hunting the rest of those days though. I go to ND every other year, and headed to MT this year and the birds that are not shot in PA within a day or two of stocking are good birds. We find some into late December and always find a few in January, sometimes find a bird or two in February. I've seen broods where I know there are no 'wild; pheasants.

After coming home from ND last time, found out one of the places we hunted they stocked birds (we only do public, we have never paid to hunt, if they want a dollar we move on). Not sure what you are looking for but there is a dirty little secret out west in that some of the birds that are shot are stocked.
bad primer and dragman like this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in