Coyotes and Beagles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Coyotes and Beagles

Just wondering if any of you guys who run beagles, in coyote territory, ever have any problems with coyotes. I only have one beagle and have had a few incidents with coyotes. Not sure if they are just curious or looking at her as a food source.
Had something strange happen today when we were out. She jumped a rabbit and ran it about 100 yds then went quiet. I went to where i heard her last to see if I could tell if the rabbit holed or just gave her the slip. When I got to the area she was coming back toward me so I assumed it holed. But when I went to check for tracks what I found was 3-4 sets of coyote tracks over the rabbit track. It seemed to me like they cut in on the rabbit she was chasing. They must have been close to get on it that fast.
Anyone else have any problems with coyotes coming in on your dog? They are sure taking the fun out of rabbit hunting for me.
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If given the chance they would snatch up you dog in a heart beat! Your dog is just another food source for them. I would be on edge running in that area, especially in the upcoming months when they start to den for giving birth
jimbridger likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:24 AM

The last year was the worst year that we actually ever had for this.

I had yotes in on my beagles twice. I actually got a shot at one with my .22 pistol last summer out of a group that came in fast, yapping from two different sides of my dogs while they were running.

Two of my buddies, had hounds busted up by yotes, with one dog barely surviving his wounds.

Also had two other guys that had them come in hard and try to grab beagles.

These things happened over about 7 months starting about this time last year in all different area of the northern teir.

John L
jimbridger likes this.

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:12 AM

Yes they will attack beagles. This is the time of year that I think it is most likely to happen. The yotes will start breeding soon and they are very protective of their territory. Last year my son shot a big one coming in on the dogs on the last day of rabbit season. That was the third time I've had it happen.
jimbridger likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Not last year but the year before in late September I had yotes come in on my dogs two mornings in a row at the same spot, it was dark yet, luckily they did not come in silent. I went straight toward the yipping and barking yotes, the first morning they were in a soybean field on a hill side, when I got my headlamp on them it was 5 sets of eyes. They quickly left. Next morning they came in from a thick bottom, again once they knew I was getting near them they got quiet and left, I did not see them this time. If this had been spring or early summer when they had small pups and I was in their territory I am sure they may have attacked. I ran this area all summer and had no problem , so they probably were not territorial, maybe curious. If they wanted to attack they easily could have. Maybe if I did not let them know I was there they would have attacked. If they had a pattern of coming to my dogs I would have set up, to see if I could have got a shot.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:36 AM

This time of year is bad in many areas. Yotes mating and looking for den areas. We are cutting in on their food and the beagles become another food source. I try to keep close to my dogs this time of year and run bells. I know some like them and some don't but to me it feels like it gives me time or makes the yote hesitate. Only had one time a coyote closed in on my beagle that had me worried. I had one on the hook and one went out long range on a hare. The coyotes were vocal and it sounded like my dog was set up to be pushed into blockers. By the time I got there the coyotes trailing were gone and the blockers had the hare and I got my dog untouched. Was it the bell I don't know maybe they only wanted to steal the hare.
Years ago running a lone coon hound was the only time coyotes made contact with any of my dogs. They did not stick around once we closed in but dog was in a fight. I had them follow at a distance when walking out with dogs on the hook and the dogs were all hackles up but none showed itself for a shot.

Other than this time of year I have seen coyotes running from hounds chasing rabbits or hare. They usually don't want anything to do with barking dogs. This time of year all bets are off. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 PM

I did not think they ate the dogs, I always thought it was just about killing the dogs, over territory or just because they felt like it, trying to remove some competition. Has anyone actually heard of a coyote actually eating a dog. I thought they just kill them and tear them up maybe, but not eat them.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I recall reading article of a farmer who live on the outskirts of housing developments, he had a coyote den on his farm, was killing his livestock, poison was set and after a week or 2 he dug up den , found 19 (or so) dog and cat collars! I think it was in Indiana.
jimbridger likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
I did not think they ate the dogs, I always thought it was just about killing the dogs, over territory or just because they felt like it, trying to remove some competition. Has anyone actually heard of a coyote actually eating a dog. I thought they just kill them and tear them up maybe, but not eat them.

More often than not I would think you are correct but they do eat pets. My experience is from CA not PA but I had a coyote grab a pup out of my back yard. I ran it down and it dropped it but neighbors lost full grown dogs from time to time and we did find collars in the desert. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Part of the Community

Yes they will eat a dog. I have lived in Arizona for twenty-five years and that has happened. Game & Fish recommends at least a five foot wall with plastic pipe that will spin so they can't jump the wall/fence to protect your dog where coyotes are prevalent.
jimbridger likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page