Who went for bunnies today? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Who went for bunnies today?

I took my three pups out for a few hours this morning. We only had three rabbits up, but we killed two of them and every one of the chases was quality work by the dogs. A good part of why we didn't put more bunnies up is that the chases lasted so long. The first and second chase both easily lasted 45 minutes. The third chase was pretty short, but still a great chase by the dogs. The second rabbit circled at least four times before it finally showed up in front of the gun. My dogs had a truly excellent morning. At first it seemed to be hard for them to keep the scent, but after a few minutes into the first chase they were off to the races. Only one more weekend to put rabbits in the freezer! Looking forward to hearing some other stories about the morning.
bigguy54, Whaler and blackpowder like this.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Regular Visitor

We were out this morning also, had the biggest circle Iíve ever seen by a cotton tail, a big old buck rabbit Iím assuming, and we didnít even get him. We only jumped two though and didnít have any shooting. But we saw some excellent solo dog work. Iíll be back at with a friend and a pack on Monday
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about going for a bit on Monday too. I do love getting paid to hunt rabbits lol, so I may not be able to resist. If the weather is nice, maybe try the .36 caliber flintlock and some squirrels, not sure yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM

My son and I and our 2 male beagles hunted for the first time with a guy who has 2 female beagles. First spot we hit my two jump one and take off on a long chase a few seconds later his dogs strike one so for the first 20 minutes we had 2 separate chases going on at once. My 2 almost went out of hearing range and my son followed them a bit and killed that one and I got the one the females were chasing. Luckily after that they packed up great and it sure sounded good when all 4 dogs were chasing. Very nice day and we ended up with 6 rabbits.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Good day for us.
Had some old crusty snow left over, so the dogs picked at first.

But after the sun got up a bit they did real well.
Ran all young dogs 3 and under. It's a blood bath up in the kennel with both of my mature - go to females and a 9 month old pup all in heat at once.

John L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the ground was bare where we were. I was wishing for some snow on the ground, those little furballs really blend in to brown background!

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Me and my son went out today,we tried 3 different locations that we never hunted before and did not jump a single rabbit. Well i guess you don t know unless you try, so will be heading out next Saturday to a known spot where will jump some.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

We did well, 4 in the bag but lots of sightings. We had a guy with us who never rabbit hunted with dogs before so it was all about him getting opportunities and he ended up with 3. 6 rabbits did go straight to hole off the jump. And that was between two different properties before and after lunch. But the dogs did very well on the ones that wanted to run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5D1AB97F-5F3D-4FF0-B6A3-0AE859B9015E_1550364309109.jpg (1,017.0 KB, 18 views)
bigguy54 and Whaler like this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:56 AM

I snuck out for a couple of hours yesterday. Jumped one rabbit and ran it for nearly 5 miles per GPS. Thanks to my diploma from Zeke's school of rabbit shooting, I was able to miss it twice with my .410 pistol.
Whaler and blackpowder like this.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2Catch View Post
I snuck out for a couple of hours yesterday. Jumped one rabbit and ran it for nearly 5 miles per GPS. Thanks to my diploma from Zeke's school of rabbit shooting, I was able to miss it twice with my .410 pistol.
Wow, I thought we had some good chases! I don't know if my dogs ran 5 miles total!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page