Who went for bunnies today? - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM

BTW getting ready to take the hounds out for the last day. Anyone else going to get the chance today. Last day before training season begins again. A noon start is so relaxing that is why I like rabbit running. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:05 PM

I had a very good last day, hunted 9 AM to 1 PM. Started off in a blow down area of woods. The dogs jumped 3 in there and 2 of them went out of hearing range but they eventually circled and I got both of the long runners. Then hunted a weedy field that had a lot of rabbits but all but one holed up quickly. Enjoyed a good cigar and the sound of the dogs running and ended up with 3 male rabbits. It was a great season. A couple weeks too get the honey-do stuff done until fishing starts!
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Regular Visitor

I got out for a quick hunt after work, jumped one and it ran big, if I would’ve stayed put, I woulda got it (well got a shot anyways) but the chase headed toward the road so I had to catch up and follow along. I had a great season! Tommorow starts training! For the dog, and for me with the shotgun lol I just got a tristar viper 28 gauge I’m excited to use for next year
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

My son and I went out for about 2 hrs this morning. Only had one bunny up and my boy got it on the first circle. We didn't kill a lot of rabbits this season but then there aren't a lot of rabbits in our area. Had a lot of fun and did our share of missing with the .22's. But, we got a few and that kept the dog and us interested enough to keep at it.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Our season went out with a bang. Well, several bangs actually. My dad got out of work at 2:30 and I met him at the house around 3PM. We hit the woods and started in around 3:30. Took us about 15 minutes to jump the first rabbit, which ran a huge circle and then ended up running the dogs onto a pretty major roadway. Crisis was averted, dogs came back, we started down a small powerline and my dad booted one out while we were walking together. We both took a shot, rabbit ended up running a bit then the dogs found it. We aren't sure who actually hit it because the grass on the line was pretty thick. The dogs picked another one up while we were cleaning the first, ran it back out the same way the first one ran out toward the road, then it cut back up into the thick stuff and ran a nice big circle. It came back to my shotgun and sat down very close to me. I aimed wide of the head and pulled the trigger. Rabbit turned around and headed back in the way it came, but I heard it stop in the stuff about 15 yards in front of me. Went over and I found him laying there. Cleaned him up and we headed down along the edge of the road. I walked the road to keep the dogs in check and we picked up our fourth rabbit of the day on the powerline. Dogs took that one for another big circle and it ended up coming back to my dad. He got it near where we originally jumped it. We moved another rabbit as I was cleaning it up and it circled almost the same path as the previous rabbit before disappearing. I'm not sure if it holed up or what happened. At that point it was getting dark so we started to head out. The dogs picked up one last rabbit and ran it until it was too dark for us to see. We called them off and called it a season. For three hours in the woods it was a great day out!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was able to get out Wednesday morning for a few hours after work, no dog, just me and two of my buddies. We hunted a Christmas tree farm that I have permission to hunt. Had a bunch of rabbits out, I was able to get the only two of the day which is good because I needed two more to make a nice pot of bunny stew! I cut the legs off and kept them for my young beagle, I worked with him a bit Thursday morning after work, I let him smell the feet then I hooked his leash to the hitch of my car and drug the legs across the ground and hid them in different parts of the yard, found them each time. He lost the scent a few times but I kept him on his leash so I could steer him in the right direction if he needed help. He's only 4 months old right now but the way he found and followed that scent the first time ever doing it, I'm ready for next year already!
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Snuck out of work a little early Thursday and hunted a few hours.
Dogs ran great and we went 3 for 4 for the evening hunt.

My buddy Steve had his only hunt of the year and got a few.

John L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last day 2.jpg (1.49 MB, 8 views)
Zeke likes this.

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page