Resident woodcock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By LostAgain
  • 1 Post By Birdshot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Resident woodcock

Ok so I guess I need to do some reading but I always thought they were a migratory bird. If they reside in pa then why does one need a migratory bird stamp to hunt them? I must say if all the critters I can put in my vest woodcock is probably my favorite to cook up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdshot View Post
Ok so I guess I need to do some reading but I always thought they were a migratory bird. If they reside in pa then why does one need a migratory bird stamp to hunt them? I must say if all the critters I can put in my vest woodcock is probably my favorite to cook up.
Where do you get the idea they aren't migratory? Just because we have resident breeding populations doesn't mean they don't migrate. We have woodcock that come here to breed, reproduce young then come fall head south. There are also woodcock that go further north to nest for the season then pass through our areas as they migrate further south in the fall.

Some of our breeding (resident woodcock) will be harvested in our state before they head south. Some of our resident woodcock will also be harvested in other states as they migrate through those states on their southern journey. Some of the woodcock that nested further north will also be harvested in our state and go south.

That is why the harvest data is maintained by the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service and why there are federal migratory bird parameters established that each state has to adhere to in season dates, days and harvest dynamics.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:22 PM

Just curious Birdshot....how do you cook them? I never liked them much as table fair, but maybe I didnít know how to prepare them right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:17 AM
The Man

I fillet out my woodcock breasts. When time to cook, I half a jalapeno, clean out the seeds. Then depending on the size of the jalapeno, I'll either use the full side of breast, or cut it half, lay it in the Jalapeno, wrap in bacon, and cook on the grill(or open fire if camping). I've also marinated then in a vinagerette for a few hours and then cooked them over high heat for a minute on each side.
Bigbrownie and grousen'at like this.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I just use butter and garlic and take my time with them in the skillet. Lost agains sounds better might have to try that.
Bigbrownie likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain View Post
I fillet out my woodcock breasts. When time to cook, I half a jalapeno, clean out the seeds. Then depending on the size of the jalapeno, I'll either use the full side of breast, or cut it half, lay it in the Jalapeno, wrap in bacon, and cook on the grill(or open fire if camping). I've also marinated then in a vinagerette for a few hours and then cooked them over high heat for a minute on each side.
You can literally use this recipe for any game meat, birds, rabbits, squirrels, waterfowl, even deer. Just be sure not to overcook when cooking venison or duck!Pre-cook the bacon in the oven for a few minutes to the point that its still pliable but cooked some. That way you don't have raw bacon and well-done venison if used for venison.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:30 PM

I tried to like them, tried several different recipes over the years, just never learned to appreciate their taste. Not for everyone I guess. My partner and I quit killing them about 15 years ago because neither of us could stand to eat them. Didn't seem right to shoot them under the circumstances so we give them a pass. Good for training a young dog however.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page