Any good squirrel/rabbit recipes? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Any good squirrel/rabbit recipes?

Does anyone have their favorite squirrel recipe? Crock-pot? Potpie? Fried? I either do a stew in the crock-pot but want to attempt a potpie recipe here this weekend. Found a few good ones online that look amazing.

Just thought I'd see what you guys prefer. Have a great weekend everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I found this casserole in the game commission cookbook.
I'll share just this recipe. The cookbook has great recipes for all wild game. I have substituted and used hare or rabbit and it's awesome.
I cook the meat in a crockpot 12 plus hours and it falls off the bones.
You won't be disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0201191947a_1549068941594.jpg (802.1 KB, 11 views)
GrouseFinder likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:21 PM

I de-bone all my rabbits and squirrels and use them pretty much any place you can use chicken. Pot pies and fried rabbit / squirrel pieces are by far my favorite two recipes, but I made a really nice rabbit corn chowder last week. Save the bones, throw them in a stock pot and cook them with a teaspoon or two of vinegar, root veggies and celery, and a bit of salt to taste for 4 - 5 hrs. Makes a wonderful broth. Make sure you cut off all the silvery tissue from the outside of the muscle. Makes the meat chewy / gamey and is easily removed with a good sharp fillet knife.
Waynzee likes this.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 PM

My son and I love this recipe: Coat some cut-up rabbit in flour. I mix some Montreal Chicken and Old Bay Seasoning in the flour. Brown the rabbit in a frying pan with some olive oil. Don't need to cook it just brown it and transfer the browned rabbit to a baking dish. After browning the rabbit add some butter to the frying pan and sautee 3-4 cut up onions . Cover the rabbit pieces with the onions. Deglaze the pan with a 1/2 cup of wine (sherry is awesome) or apple cider and pour that and 1 can of chicken gravy over the rabbit & onions. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake at 325 for ~ 4 hours. Serve over rice or noodles. If you like mushrooms add some when you are frying the onions.
loridr likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage

Cut the rabbit into 6 pieces, 4 legs and two back pieces, (back cut in half) with the ribs removed. Place in a pot of salted water with a large carrot cut into about 4 pieces, a medium onion halved and a stalk of celery cut into 4 pieces. Put a lid on the pot and bring to a boil, then turn back to simmer and cook until you can easily pass a meat fork through a thigh. Skim the foam off the water as it forms and discard. When the meat is tender enough for the fork to easily pass through remove the meat from the pot and discard the vegetables. Mix flour salt and pepper in a bowl while the meat is cooking.
Dredge the meat in the flour, salt and pepper mixture and put into a skillet with about 1/4 inch of bacon fat and a little butter melted in the skillet. Place the meat in the skillet and fry till brown, not burned, you just want a crust, you do not have to cook the meat as it is already cooked. Turn once to brown the other side. Serve with mashed potatoes. Try not to fight over the piece with the back straps. The rabbit will be crisp on the outside and moist and tender inside. We save bacon fat and keep it in the fridge prior to small game season so we are prepared. Simple recipe and very delicious. We use the same recipe for squirrel.
loridr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:46 PM

I like to put a couple rabbits in the pressure cooker. Cook em till meat comes off the bone easily. Shred the meat and mix with Sweet Baby Rays sauce. Kinda like pulled pork...Pulled Rabbit.
Waynzee likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

* I start by cutting the rabbit into 6 pieces. The four legs and the back into 2 sections.
* I like to slow boil the pieces in water with onion or onion powder added. I like to have the water just barely boiling and let them cook about 1 1/2 hours until tender.
* Then remove them from the water and pat dry with paper towel.
* Coat the pieces with Vanilla flavored Greek Yogurt. I use a basting brush or small paint brush.
* Then I spoon Italian Style Bread Crumbs over the yogurt covered pieces which hold the bread crumbs very well. Progresso is the brand I am using.
* Brown them in a skillet with some olive oil or whatever you prefer.
* This yogurt and Italian Bread Crumb coating actually tastes good on other meats, too. I have used it on pork chops, venison steaks and lamb chops and liked it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Part of the Community

Rabbits I treat like chicken. Squirrels I boil for a bit with sauteed onions, celery and carrots. let cool, reserving the broth, pull the meat and then treat like chicken. Pot pie or with dumplings usually, though sometimes breakfast hash.

If Sunday hunting was not already illegal, who among us would not laugh at making it so?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I like to put a couple rabbits in the pressure cooker. Cook em till meat comes off the bone easily. Shred the meat and mix with Sweet Baby Rays sauce. Kinda like pulled pork...Pulled Rabbit.
Going to give that a try. Likely help encourage some of our younger folk to dig in. Thinking that would also be a good one for ground hogs.

If Sunday hunting was not already illegal, who among us would not laugh at making it so?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 PM

Dust in flour, pepper, salt and brown in skillet. Deglaze pan with some onions and garlic and a splash of wine. Braise in a light stock until the meat almost falls off the bone. Make whatever pan sauce you desire. I prefer a mushroom cream sauce but there are many options. Alternatively you can finish it on the grill with a bbq or buffalo glaze. Learn those kinda techniques and the customizations are endless.
Whaler likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page