Snowy and cold = perfect combo for bunnies? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By psychobeagle12
  • 1 Post By psychobeagle12
  • 1 Post By psychobeagle12

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Snowy and cold = perfect combo for bunnies?

My dad and I hit the woods with our five pups today and it was non-stop action. The shortest down time the dogs saw was about a 15 minute break while we crossed a big power line. All five of them ran like champs on the snow we had today. I was honestly surprised that this snow provided such good conditions for the dogs, and was even more surprised how much the rabbits wanted to run today. The bunnies were making big circles and driving far ahead of the dogs. We had at least 10 rabbits (though I think it was 12) up in the four to five hours we were out, and we ended the day with six rabbits in the bag. It's the first time in memory that I limited out. I've come close but I honestly can't remember ever limiting before. Anyone else have a good day for cottontails?
Zeke, R. S. B., Whaler and 2 others like this.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:30 PM

I take my dog, a GSP, up on the hill above my house, right on the edge of the borough, every morning that we don't go hunting. I saw more rabbit tracks in the fresh snow this morning than I have seen in some time. Last night, actually early this morning, must have been a good time for the rabbits to out moving around.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12 View Post
My dad and I hit the woods with our five pups today and it was non-stop action. The shortest down time the dogs saw was about a 15 minute break while we crossed a big power line. All five of them ran like champs on the snow we had today. I was honestly surprised that this snow provided such good conditions for the dogs, and was even more surprised how much the rabbits wanted to run today. The bunnies were making big circles and driving far ahead of the dogs. We had at least 10 rabbits (though I think it was 12) up in the four to five hours we were out, and we ended the day with six rabbits in the bag. It's the first time in memory that I limited out. I've come close but I honestly can't remember ever limiting before. Anyone else have a good day for cottontails?
Yeah, we had a fun morning as well. You're right about the rabbits being far ahead of the dog today. Snow was pretty crunchy underfoot, but it was a good morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm a happy man. I have some rabbit pieces cleaned, tenderized, and ready for breading, a crockpot of pieces cooking down for pot pie meat, and a big stock pot of broth on the stove. I couldn't have had a better end to a good day in the woods if I tried
flintlock hunter likes this.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12 View Post
I'm a happy man. I have some rabbit pieces cleaned, tenderized, and ready for breading, a crockpot of pieces cooking down for pot pie meat, and a big stock pot of broth on the stove. I couldn't have had a better end to a good day in the woods if I tried
How do you "tenderize". I like to fry the younger ones after a soak in brine, then in a buttermilk mixture prior to breading and frying. But I'm way open on any way to get the older ones more tender, besides crock potting the older ones i just cant seem to get them tender enough to pan fry or deep fry.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

I cut all the meat that I plan to tenderize from the bones (usually just the hind quarters down to the bottom of the thigh and the back straps), then I pound it out flat on a cutting board with a meat tenderizing mallet. I then take a good sharp fillet knife and cut off all that silvery connective tissue from the outside of the meat until I'm left with clean meat fillets. Usually only have to do that for the back straps; the legs come out pretty tender from just the mallet. They WILL stay chewy if you don't remove that tissue. It curls up almost like bacon when you cook it too, so the more of it you can remove the better. The front legs, the hind shanks, and the rib cages / leftover meat on the body all go into the big stock pot and boil with celery / root veggies for about four hours. My dad likes it fried but I prefer it in pot pie so I threw the front legs and a few of the hind quarters in the crock pot this time to make pot pie meat. I do squirrels the same way, but its more difficult to get them tender because they are so small. When you start trimming the meat on a squirrel you take a good bit of the squirrel with it.

Edit: My grandfather used to parboil rabbits and squirrels with a bullion cube and baking soda, three or four times through the pot. I never found that method to make them extremely tender though, so I prefer to debone / tenderize them instead. Plus I really hate getting pellets and bone shards in my meat, and the extra work I put in to remove the meat from the bones allows me to control that as well.
RC117 likes this.

Last edited by psychobeagle12; 01-27-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page