No-cost Rabbit Habitat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

No-cost Rabbit Habitat

Do you think the PGC would allow people to drop off Christmas trees at specific gameland locations? It seems like such a waste that those trees go to landfills when they could provide brush piles for rabbits. I think this a no-cost way to help rabbit populations on PA public lands. Even better, lay those Christmas trees and other brush over pallets.

Besides Christmas trees, leftover thanksgiving and holloween items (straw, pumpkins, etc.) could also help other animals instead of going to the dump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember at one time the fish commission placed trees in lakes for fish cover.
GrouseFinder likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 AM
The Man

I don't know about dropping them off at gamelands, but I do know that for anyone who is in the Kane area, the Kinzua Fish and Wildlife Assn. is taking Christmas trees for building fish structure on Kinzua Dam. They do it every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:11 AM
The Man

Just saying, some people would likely dump trees that still have tinsel and other decorative items (litter) that wouldn't benefit wildlife.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 AM

If you have a beagle club in your area, you can contact them as most will take them to build brush piles.
GrouseFinder likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanookOdaNorth View Post
Just saying, some people would likely dump trees that still have tinsel and other decorative items (litter) that wouldn't benefit wildlife.
I had planned to say the same thing as I was reading this thread. While brush piles are a good idea for rabbits I doubt the PGC would want to be sending time cleaning the trees of non biodegradable decorations. At one time the food and cover corps used to build brush piles out of limbs and saplings on game lands when they were cleaning up the property borders, I don't know if they still do. Where I live, a lot of the townships the the trees for free and mulch them and then sell the mulch. It utilized the trees, keeps them out of landfills and provides a product cheaper than Home depot or other home improvement stores or landscaping business.
DIYASUB likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Excellent idea, been doing it for decades. Yes you have to go over the tree to look for left over decorations, some one suggested to me to put in sections of 4 inch pvc pipe under the brush pile for rabbits to hide in also.
GrouseFinder likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfedor View Post
Excellent idea, been doing it for decades. Yes you have to go over the tree to look for left over decorations, some one suggested to me to put in sections of 4 inch pvc pipe under the brush pile for rabbits to hide in also.
bad idea on the pipe. had a beagle get her head stuck in one years ago and almost lost her!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfedor View Post
bad idea on the pipe. had a beagle get her head stuck in one years ago and almost lost her!
Oh man I hate to hear this. Maybe 3 inch pipe, or scrap the whole pipe idea.
Other ideas I saw where to tie the Xmas trees to wooden pallets, theory was also to give a place for rabbits to hide?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage

All you would have to do is criss cross some saplings and logs and then pout the trees on top. You don't need pipes of skids, just use what nature gives you.
blackpowder likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page