Mr. Bobwhite - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Mr. Bobwhite

It has been several years since the PGC came out with their Quail management plan (2011-2020). I believe Tom Keller from the PGC was involved in selecting the Letterkenney Army Depot to be our Quail focus area. Many wild BWQ from other states were relocated there over the years. Does anyone have an update about the PGC QMP and the future of BWQ in PA? I read something about NJ having success with their QWM and have recently spoken to some beaglers that told me firsthand that they have come across wild coveys. There is nothing like a pointing dog on BWQ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

No one has posted back any responses. Is quail hunting not that popular in PA. Check out the pricing for a Georgia quail hunt...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 8.28.41 PM.png (48.4 KB, 14 views)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseFinder View Post
No one has posted back any responses. Is quail hunting not that popular in PA. Check out the pricing for a Georgia quail hunt...
Yes it is not that popular because it is non-existent outside of private clubs or preserves that stock birds.
bad primer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

NJ stocks quail. Is there a plan for PA to stock quail too? If not, why?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not enough suitable habitat would be my guess.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There have been no wild quail released at the Letterkenny area. The habitat is being worked on so quail have a chance to survive. My understanding is that within the next two years there will be a release. It is unlikely that this population will be huntable in the near future if at all. At this point, they are trying to return a native bird species that has disappeared from the state which is part of their job. The quail season in PA lasts until the end of the month of February so you can buy quail at about $5.00 a bird and release them to hunt. You must follow all season and bag limits once they are released. I released some last year and had a ball hunting them with the dog. They call each other to the group so covey flushes are typical and fun.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quail hunting would be popular in PA if we had quail. The few wild quail that may be left aren't worth pursuing and probably should be left alone. I do run my setter on quail at a regulated hunting grounds several times a year because I like to hunt quail. Back around 2001 02 two, I went on a Plantation hunt for quail in GA at Pine Hill Plantation with 3 friends. It was traditional plantation hunting from either horse back or Mule drawn wagon. The fee was all inclusive but not cheap, food , lodging, care of your birds practice on skeet fields adult beverages of your choice all came with the fee which was a thousand dollars a day for each of us. We hunted wild birds interspersed with early release quail and you could not tell the difference between them. It was incredible to have a flush of 15 or 20 or more birds. They had a fully stocked kennel of mostly English Pointers some setters and a couple of labs to retrieve and they switched them often. We hunted the first 3 days of the GA quail season and were the only people on 10,000 acres managed for quail, long leaf pine and wire grass under story. We were the only hunters on the property. One of the best experiences I ever had.
bigguy54 and loridr like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:11 PM
The Man

Was quail hunting ever "popular" in Pa.?

I grew up hunting in Pa. quail country (SE Pa.) when we actually had a population (1960's) and we didn't even shoot them when we put them up, we were pheasant hunting.

In 1966 I became friends with a kid that moved here from Texas and he and his dad started to hunt small game with us. The first time we put up a covey and he and his dad opened up on them, we thought they were crazy. We asked "why the heck are you shooting those little birds for?" They said "they're quail!". We were like, yeah, so what?
jimbridger and GrouseFinder like this.

Last edited by loridr; 01-24-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
NJ stocks quail. Is there a plan for PA to stock quail too? If not, why?
Why not? Because they stock pheasants here and they barely have the money to keep doing that.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Was quail hunting ever "popular" in Pa.?
We asked "why the heck are you shooting those little birds for?" They said "they're quail!". We were like, yeah, so what?
That is funny and answers my question. The only other comment I have is...when the quail went extinct from PA, no one cared enough to do anything or even talked about it???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page