1 less saturday for small game this fall - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
dap

1 less saturday for small game this fall

The agenda for the upcoming January board of commissioners meeting shows that the proposed season structure opens firearms deer season on the saturday after Thanksgiving, eliminating a saturday from all of the small game seasons.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRe...y%20Agenda.pdf

I wrote a letter to the PGC ([email protected]) asking them to either add another saturday to the beginning of small game season or allow small game hunting during the firerarms deer season if they choose to start deer hunting on saturday.

I got an automated response to my email stating If you are commenting on proposed hunting and furtaking seasons and bag limits, or other regulatory matters pending before the Board of Game Commissioners, your comments will be tabulated along with the other correspondence received by the agency and presented to the Board of Game Commissioners for its consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 PM

Just one more reason NOT to move to a Saturday opener for rifle.
bad primer and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I also got the same response from my comment on leaving the deer opener on Monday. I always hunted grouse on Saturday and prepared for deer hunting on Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:56 AM
The Man

They took the 3rd week of turkey away from us in 3A. I hope they reinstate it if the Saturday is lost.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

or allow small game hunting during the firerarms deer season if they choose to start deer hunting on saturday.

Can't say I think this is a good idea...just my opinion.....
Danesdad likes this.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:30 AM

My take on small game hunting is many do not care. Between predation or loss of habitat or what ever the cause, many have left our small game hunting tradition go away. We watch as our habitat diminishes for small game and many predators that focus heavily on small game are given total protection. Our small game hunting is given less than the back burner, when it comes to hunting. Big game are king now and are the main concern. Deer hunting will win over any small game hunting. This is largely due to the low numbers of small game compared to before raptors were protected and our small game numbers fell. The less small game , the less hunters, and the less support we have for small game. I am thinking that soon we may even lose our grouse season, a true victory for the anti hunters. I deer hunt and small game hunt, the deer hunting is good and the small game hunting is the worst it has bene in the last 60 years. The lower the small game numbers we have, the less support we have when it comes to situations like this.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
or allow small game hunting during the firerarms deer season if they choose to start deer hunting on saturday.

Can't say I think this is a good idea...just my opinion.....
In PA, small game season overlaps with Archery season, early muzzleloader, youth & senior early doe season, flintlock season and bear season. In PA duck/goose season and firearms deer season run concurrently. In many if not most other states, small game season overlaps with rifle deer season. I'm sure we could make it work in PA as well.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Why do Pennsylvanians have such bassackward views on hunting? No Sunday hunting? Most all states have it. Small game concurrent with big game? Most states also. I have hunted small game in Maine and NY, and Western states during deer season, oh my!! How could it be? The sky is still up there! Narrow minded views for pointed headed people.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 04:18 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
In PA, small game season overlaps with Archery season, early muzzleloader, youth & senior early doe season, flintlock season and bear season. In PA duck/goose season and firearms deer season run concurrently. In many if not most other states, small game season overlaps with rifle deer season. I'm sure we could make it work in PA as well.

I suggested to the BOC they make the Friday and Saturday a ML season. Everything could run concurrent.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
Just one more reason NOT to move to a Saturday opener for rifle.
I love small game hunting, I have two bird dogs, but this isn't a good reason not to have a Saturday rifle opener though I think they should open small game season (pheasant and rabbit portion) a week earlier than they do. There is no reason for that idle week between the junior season and the regular season.

Here's one to think about, if Sunday hunting comes then you could conceivable have that Saturday after Thanksgiving for small game and then have a Sunday rifle opener! Boom, mic drop.
stackbarrel and 171farm like this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page