1 less saturday for small game this fall - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:24 PM
The Man

Why shouldn't it be done and why won't it be done? Pure politics on behalf of the 8 incompetent commissioners. We will never see a late season again and we'll never see an earlier starting date. And be surprised if we lose our short December season in the next couple years.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
I wrote letter to the BOC and Lisa asking that Grouse season open a week earlier (Oct 12 rather than 19) and run through the Friday after Thanksgiving. Lisa replied that should would not object to a week earlier start date for grouse. She was concerned that an earlier start to woodcock would add pressure to resident woodcock. She said the only issue with earlier start to grouse is that the grouse and wc openers would fall on separate dates. Not traditional, but still doable from a biological perspective.
To add to what was already stated with this many states open grouse before woodcock. Heck, many of the great lakes states open grouse in September and woodcock in October. There is no reason we should not be able to at least move the opener to at least a week earlier if not beginning of October. Not even she could argue October grouse casualties are additive...

Or maybe I should keep my mouth shut
post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
With or without Sunday hunting, if starting the grouse season 1 week earlier is not viewed as detrimental to the population, why shouldn't it be done?

In a response to an email I sent asking the same, Lisa said she wouldn't be opposed to starting a week earlier, however, said most hunters complain about too much foliage, heat, and ticks. Anyone that would complain about that, well they just like to complain. Certainly not a valid reason in my opinion. She at least sounds receptive to the possibility.

to warm barrels and cold noses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I haven't read all the comments on this thread yet, but it seems from the ones I did read, that most of them are about a Saturday opener. My take: A lot of the time, anymore, it seems that the weather is too warm and the foiliage is too thick for rabbit hunting. Hard to see them and really still full of parasites. Why not open the deer season on the first of November (now rifle hunters can hunt the rut as well as archers) for 2 weeks. Open small game season on Thanksgiving along with archery and turkey. Leave all other seasons as they are. This would be a win/win season for all.
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDOGS View Post
In a response to an email I sent asking the same, Lisa said she wouldn't be opposed to starting a week earlier, however, said most hunters complain about too much foliage, heat, and ticks. Anyone that would complain about that, well they just like to complain. Certainly not a valid reason in my opinion. She at least sounds receptive to the possibility.
Please emphasize to her that you are not asking the season to be "moved" a week earlier. You are only asking for the season to start a week earlier but not end a week earlier.

Hunters wanting to avoid the ticks, heat and foilage can start their season on whatever date they choose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page