Hares with a Springer? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hares with a Springer?

Hi guys: PA hunting opportunities are getting slim this late in the season. I have a young springer that I started training on pheasant a few weeks ago. There don’t seem to be many birds left on the game lands. I am thinking about driving north for some kind of hunting opportunities.

I have hunting licenses in NY and VT already. I have put hares out over the years in VT and I know there are a lot of hares in upsatate NY. Grouse is closed in VT but hare is open through March. In NY, grouse and hare are open for about 2 more months. New York gives me the option of both but I’d have to camp.

I have a place to stay in VT but I’d be limited to hare. Unfortunately, I don’t have a beagle. Anyone here ever had success on hares with a bird dog? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No idea withe springer on hare thing, but maybe created a post or thread to try to do a hare / grouse combo hunt? Team up with some beagle guys, hunt hare one day, then grouse the next day? I'm down to 1 beagle, but if you setup trip I would love to give it a try.
Gene Nj
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Rage View Post
Hi guys: PA hunting opportunities are getting slim this late in the season. I have a young springer that I started training on pheasant a few weeks ago. There donít seem to be many birds left on the game lands. I am thinking about driving north for some kind of hunting opportunities.

I have hunting licenses in NY and VT already. I have put hares out over the years in VT and I know there are a lot of hares in upsatate NY. Grouse is closed in VT but hare is open through March. In NY, grouse and hare are open for about 2 more months. New York gives me the option of both but Iíd have to camp.

I have a place to stay in VT but Iíd be limited to hare. Unfortunately, I donít have a beagle. Anyone here ever had success on hares with a bird dog? Thanks
The reason people use beagles to hunt rabbits and hares is because they are slow. Springers are a lot faster and you would probably loose a lot of shot at hares because your springer would be too close for a safe shot. In addition, Springers are bred to find and flush birds not run them out of gun range. You could really mess up your dog running it on hares where it flushes birds out of range of your shotgun..

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 01-19-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Have you tried Beltzville evry time I go by I see a cock or hen. I am up there pretty often and see quite a few.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Sage

My springers would jump a bunny then site chase for a bit till they lost site; hare are big runners and a springer is not designed to scent track long distance. You want springers to hunt close so when they flush you are in position for a shot. Possible to get a shot at a hare on the jump but you put the dog in a dangerous position doing so.

wmu 3A
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Can't eat soup with a spoon. Don't know if hunting hares with a Springer will work.

If you are looking for training opportunities, check out dog clubs in your area; look for NAVHDA (North American Hunting Dog Association). There are a lot of people who love to hunt and train with their dogs. They are friendly and helpful with others.

Another route to take is a preserve. They are scattered around. There is one in my area. It is a pay-to-play game but it may be less than the cost of going out of state to hunt.

Good luck with the new hunting partner.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I asked because I have put out a few hares over the years while grouse hunting. It does make sense that a springer wouldn’t be much help. I would only want to flush them from cover, not have the springer chase.

Thanks for the tip on Beltzville. Maybe I’ll give it a try.

If anyone with beagles wants to meet up for some hare hunting, let me know.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:29 PM
New Arrival

I use my springer for rabbit hunting all the time. She goes right in the brush pile and out come the rabbit out the other side. 9 times out of 10 if she goes into the pile a rabbit comes out. But i have never hunted hares if they hold up in brush piles ya you can use your springer. If you are going to try to use her to bring it back around thats more for a beagle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page