Stocking at Raystown - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Stocking at Raystown

Last year my brothers and I hunted at Raystown Lake on the Friday before Christmas. They had stocked that day and my dog found some birds.

This year the PGC said they were going to have three times as many birds to put out and were going to stock both Thursday and Friday. There was a flood watch on Friday so we went on Saturday. We did see four birds. One passed over us so high it looked like a hawk, but the tail showed that it was definitely a rooster. We never fired a shot.

Just wondering, did anyone else go out for the late season stocking? Did you think there were more birds stocked than last year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Part of the Community

My brother and I hunted Raystown Lake last Friday. We put up two birds, but could not get a shot at either. I'm sure they stocked the numbers they said they did, but there are a lot variables that can impact how many birds you see each time out. For instance on Friday afternoon, my brother and I found three different spots that looked like a bird had been shot there just hours before meaning someone had already been through the fields we hunted. We still managed to put up two birds, but it is likely those who went before us found more. I also frequently fish Raystown Lake and have on several occasions seen pheasants out there in the spring that made it through the season. Hunting the late season is tough, but there are plenty of birds left to go around.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

NittanyBearcat, we didn't go on Friday. They were forecasting rain and had a flood watch. I thought maybe they didn't stock because the trail through the fields was too wet to get through.

Last year we hunted one area with no luck. We drove to another spot and the stocking truck had just been through. I guess you just go to be in the right place at the right time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Part of the Community

Yes, that has been my experience at Raystown as well. There is a decent amount of area they stock there so some days you can hit the right spot and others maybe not. The area we hunted on Friday afternoon did not seem as though it had been stocked recently. We covered a significant amount of ground and put up two hens so you could be right about the stocking on Friday. I haven't had a chance to get back out yet this week so I can't give any updates as to how it currently is. Even though the hunting can be tough, the late season is one of my favorite times to be out. Good luck with the pheasant hunting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page