Last Hour Hare + cottontail & unknown predator chase - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By dukethebeagle
  • 1 Post By dukethebeagle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Last Hour Hare + cottontail & unknown predator chase

Headed out to chase some Hare today with friends and 8 beagles. Not 10 minutes into the day the dogs get a Jump and off they go. They line out to 550 yds. and have a short check then it circles back towards me. The dogs get with 30 yds. and A cottontail is just in front of them. I stop it with 1 shot and the dogs come flying in packed up nicely. We head towards some dense brush & laurel and 6 dogs below me get a jump and are off to the races. 2 of mine don't hark in... Luckily. The 6 beagles just pound the hare or cottontail(we thought) ; for 30 minutes within a 400 yd. area . Then it lines out to parts unknown .. I leave my 2 dogs and pursue the others but after 1/4 mile or more I cease to hear them. All dogs have gps collars and one young guy in our party finally retrieves 4 dogs almost 2 miles away. One other is picked up by another hunter and 2 others by another hunter in our crew. The general consensus is it was either coyote or bobcat. After a roundup of the lost dogs we head to a prime spot that holds many Hare. We drop 8 beagles and within 2 minutes we get a few cold trailing barks from my 13 yr. old beagle and then my black & tan beagle jumps and sight chases it with all others in pursuit. The hare lines out 600 yards then circles twice and I hear a shot that ends the chase just 15 minutes before dark. The dogs bumped out a stray Hare and it surprises us ; So no shots. Nice end to a crazy Day . Thankful for garmin GPS collars. Managed to get a couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG955500.jpg (155.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG955503.jpg (128.6 KB, 40 views)
jimbridger, bigguy54 and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I always look forward to reading these Hare (and rabbit) stories and seeing the photos. Thank you for sharing. Hunting rabbits with beagles looks like a ton of fun.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:54 PM

Nice!
We had a first time shooter with us on opening morning. We had this hare going for 2.5 hours and it never went more than 300 in any direction. 2 hounds down and multiple sightings and checks but it took that long for the shooter to get to see it for a shot. He seen it once but never got the gun up. Than he shot his first ever hare. The day was done.

Today we went out and ran one for a few hours and the dogs put on 6 miles and never went beyond 250 yards. We snagged up the dogs and moved to another spot. On the way we drove through the park where the everyone gathers. there were at least 8 vehicles and plenty of guys with orange on at the main intersection. Left there and hit one more area for a quick 1/2 hour chase and hooked up the girls and went home.
Rain day for the busy day. Might jut stay home and go out Monday as we have another shooter lined up.

Good luck and have fun. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice hunts. I didn't think those things would run that long and far.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 PM

How does your 13 y.o. dog handle those long days? Usually when they get to around 11 - 12 yrs we just take them for short days and end up carrying them back to the truck. Nice to know that you have a pup that is still going strong at that age!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Nice!
We had a first time shooter with us on opening morning. We had this hare going for 2.5 hours and it never went more than 300 in any direction. 2 hounds down and multiple sightings and checks but it took that long for the shooter to get to see it for a shot. He seen it once but never got the gun up. Than he shot his first ever hare. The day was done.

Today we went out and ran one for a few hours and the dogs put on 6 miles and never went beyond 250 yards. We snagged up the dogs and moved to another spot. On the way we drove through the park where the everyone gathers. there were at least 8 vehicles and plenty of guys with orange on at the main intersection. Left there and hit one more area for a quick 1/2 hour chase and hooked up the girls and went home.
Rain day for the busy day. Might jut stay home and go out Monday as we have another shooter lined up.

Good luck and have fun. Waugh!
I was at the fun park today Mr Waugh😀
Just me and 2 beagles.
Running was sloooowwwww...for the first hour on the hare they jumped.
They it suddenly picked up pace and to a swamp and back into the rhododendron.
Then snails pace again.
I called them off that track and headed on to truck but...they jump another hare.
It circles once and I get a 20 yd surprise and it busts me . I took a fleeting shot but still going. Didn't jump another the rest of the day.
Saw many tracks and my one beagle barked a few places but nil.
You probably drove past my ranger.
Dogs were whooped from yesterday but managed to put on 14 miles -gunner & 16 miles -shadow.
Shadow is a warrior at 11.5 years old.
jimbridger likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12 View Post
How does your 13 y.o. dog handle those long days? Usually when they get to around 11 - 12 yrs we just take them for short days and end up carrying them back to the truck. Nice to know that you have a pup that is still going strong at that age!
The 13 yr old still thinks he's a pup. He has the best search in a beagle I've ever seen. But he can be a blockhead and not want to quit. While the other dogs were chasing the off game;he jumped a deer track and took it 600 + yards till I caught up to him. I put him in the truck till the last spot and he was running up front with the others ;when they ran the Hare. He can run all day no problem. He'll be 14 in april . He's a warrior. He never quit chasing off game;no matter how hard I shock him;but his search is second to none. He's got a cold nose too so today I left him rest up till saturday. His search and grit, and nose outweigh the negatives for me. Back in october he logged 19.5 miles searching for Hare in NY;in a day and a half. At the end of the 2nd day he still wasn't ready to quit while my 11 yr old beagle was done hunting.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 AM

No other vehicles except at the X roads and 1 at the choke lot. I may have seen your foot prints at the Rodie patch. Waugh!

Mr Waugh😀 ???????

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
No other vehicles except at the X roads and 1 at the choke lot. I may have seen your foot prints at the Rodie patch. Waugh!

Mr Waugh😀 ???????
I was at both lots. The red ranger with the crappy black cap on it. I ran into a 3 truck caravan on the way out around 3:30. They were dropping dogs in the rhododendron there. One guy was from a beagle club up that way. only heard one other dog or dogs chasing all day
send a PM if you're interested in going tomorrow.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:21 PM

I have a shooter for Saturday and will be headed out somewhere. I don't think I will go to the park. I'll stop if I see the rig. Waugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page