Lackawanna state Park pheasants - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Lackawanna state Park pheasants

Anyone hunt the late season pheasant at Lackawanna state Park?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggad32 View Post

I have. I went last Saturday. Was the first person in the parking lot. 4 trucks pulled in behind me. One guy with a fat britt jumped out and went right in front of me while I was getting my stuff out of my truck and was still somewhat dark. I waited until he was out of sight and started running my dogs to the opposite side that guy went. About 10 minutes in my dog went on point while the other honored. I shot the rooster my dog was pointing. While retrieving, another rooster went up from the same spot. I shot that and my other dog retrieved that one. On way out my dog pointed a hen. At that point, I heeled my dogs as to not disturb any more birds and allow the droves behind me a chance. I kid you not, on my way out, a group of 8-10 guys all lined up heading my way. ANother pair of guys and dog was waiting behind them.

The place is crazy. It was my first time there in about 6 years and was reminded why I stay away. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to drive to my grouse spots so figured I'd try the park and at least give my dogs some time.

What are you looking for?

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Regular Visitor

we have...went monday Dec 24th...no dog, just walked the area, saw some tracks. ..got a gen..great place to hunt...enjoy !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got quite a few birds there without a dog
Never ran into big crowds
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDOGS View Post
Quote:

I have. I went last Saturday. Was the first person in the parking lot. 4 trucks pulled in behind me. One guy with a fat britt jumped out and went right in front of me while I was getting my stuff out of my truck and was still somewhat dark. I waited until he was out of sight and started running my dogs to the opposite side that guy went. About 10 minutes in my dog went on point while the other honored. I shot the rooster my dog was pointing. While retrieving, another rooster went up from the same spot. I shot that and my other dog retrieved that one. On way out my dog pointed a hen. At that point, I heeled my dogs as to not disturb any more birds and allow the droves behind me a chance. I kid you not, on my way out, a group of 8-10 guys all lined up heading my way. ANother pair of guys and dog was waiting behind them.

The place is crazy. It was my first time there in about 6 years and was reminded why I stay away. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to drive to my grouse spots so figured I'd try the park and at least give my dogs some time.

thanks, I was looking to run my 19 month old Brittany, but heard there are tons of guys up there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
thanks, I was looking to run my 19 month old Brittany, but heard there are tons of guys up there.
There likely won't be now.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDOGS View Post

I run my dogs for exercise on game lands that are not stocked, it's safer. PA pheasant hunting reminds me of their opening of trout season...only with shotguns. Keep in mind that a certain percentage of these hunters have no qualms about shooting things on the ground, make sure your dogs wear orange vests if you're going to participate, for their safety.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:

The problem with Lackawanna is it is too concentrated. There is one area they stock. The area has 2 spots they stock and really only one way to access each spot. So everyone that hunts it parks and enters the areas the same way. The areas they stock are fairly small and surrounded by private land. The two spots do back up to one another so you could hunt the entire area from either parking area. Most people don't though. They stick to the fields and don't hunt through the woods to the opposite side. As with any area that is stocked, the farther from the date they stock, the less people you'll see. If you go, don't be afraid to hunt the wooded areas. There's some thicker stuff on the back side that many people don't want to leave the field and hunt.

They used to stock another area but have since stopped because of so many complaints from land owners that border the park. People would shoot pheasants near people's bird feeders in their yards. The attached pic shows the area they used to stock but no longer do. Park is in purple. Red circles are safety zones. Birds would get pushed into people's yards and guys would follow the birds. On the first day, guys would be lined up along the road in a big line and push the fields.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lack.jpg (254.9 KB, 14 views)

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah, I heard that was a place where ya had to have eyes all over so you or your dog don't get shot. I don't know why the PGC doesn't stock game lands 300 Archbald Mtn. and 310 by Lake Henry. I know the PGC used to stock 310. There is a lot more room in those areas to put birds and it would be a lot safer.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:35 PM
Part of the Community

it's fairly easy to pick the fields clean at lackawanna, if I were you and looking for some late season hunting go to delaware water gap. If you see a black pickup and a chocolate lab, there's probably not any birds in that field.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page