GoPro Suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Run2Catch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

GoPro Suggestions

Just received a GoPro Hero 7 for Christmas.

I see some very good videos on this and some beagle sites.

Any suggestions for making good videos.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:49 PM
New Arrival

I don't really have any suggestions but this is funny cause I was just telling my wife today that I would like to get a go pro. I think it would be awesome to video what I see when I'm hunting or running the dogs. Tell your wife she did good. Lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpen08 View Post
I don't really have any suggestions but this is funny cause I was just telling my wife today that I would like to get a go pro. I think it would be awesome to video what I see when I'm hunting or running the dogs. Tell your wife she did good. Lol
Dude,

Every time the camera comes on, our dogs look like friggin chihuahuas at the check.

However, I'd we edit properly, all of our mutts can look like field champions.LMAO.
jimbridger likes this.

Lake Effect Beagles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 07:42 PM
New Arrival

Ain't that the truth. They can be pounding a rabbit for 20 minutes and as soon as I reach for the cell phone to record it I'm embarrassed to say to I own them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:15 PM

I don't have a newer GoPro, but I do have the 3+. I use it for much of the footage for my YouTube channel.

One of the biggest decisions is where to mount the camera. It usually boils down to 3 places. Two are obvious, either on your head, or on the gun. There is one more place I'll talk about later.

We've all watched the videos taken with a Go Pro. We often see skiing or motocycle videos, where the camera is mounted on the side of a helmet. With the side of the helmet in view at the side of the shot frame, it makes the video appear to be steadier, because the side of the helmet doesn't move in the frame of the shot. These videos are easier to watch. When a camera is mounted without anything in view at the side or top or bottom, the video appears to more shaky and harder to watch.

So keeping these two styles of shots in mind (a steady object in frame or no steady object in frame) let's look at the options for hunters, gun mount vs. head mount.

With the camera mounted on the gun, the shot will appear much steadier and the target will be captured in the shot, but you won't be able to capture working dogs, hunting buddies with the camera, without pointing the gun at them. It is also a little more difficult to operate the camera to start and stop. I rarely use this type mount.

With the head mount, the video will be very shaky to watch as your head is on a swivel looking around but it. Just a few seconds of watching this can become uncomfortable to watch. It is easier to operate the camera, though. Editing software can eliminate much of the extra shaking by shortening clips and help make the video a little smoother to watch.

The other option is a backpack type mount. This way of mounting requires a way to remotely operate the camera. With this mount, you will have your head in frame of the camera shot to make the video easier to watch, and you will still have the ability to get dogs and friends on camera safely. This mount is cumbersome to use if hunting near trees, but great for open field. You can make one from a cheap backpack and pvc or buy one. (There is a link in the description of my YouTube videos )

I use multiple cameras to make videos. Here is a link where you can see what the backpack mounts look like, but only a few video clips of it in use.
https://youtu.be/1ROg775gSxw
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:21 PM

In this video, you can see a head mount in use. The clips were edited to a few short seconds which makes them easier to watch. Also with the dove hunting and goose hunting clips, you can see what the backpack mount videos look like in use.
https://youtu.be/uue4ZJI9t-A

Last edited by Windwalker7; 12-25-2018 at 09:29 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 PM
Part of the Community

R2C, I have a harness some where around here that goes on the dog.

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions windwalker.

Lake Effect Beagles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin coyote View Post
R2C, I have a harness some where around here that goes on the dog.
Mike,

We should try that out. Maybe we can get together after flint season. Maybe try the longbow again. I'll be in touch.

Brian

Lake Effect Beagles
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Part of the Community

Brian,

Iím up for it. Iíll look for the harness.

Mike

Reward Equals Effort. Nothing is Free

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page