rabbit hunting on pheasant stocked SGL's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

rabbit hunting on pheasant stocked SGL's

i dont know if this has been asked before but.....can you hunt rabbits on pheasant stocked gamelands with out a pheasant stamp ? i dont have dogs so i dont see where that would be a problem. i also dont see a problem hunting rabbits with out a pheasant stamp as long as i dont shoot at a pheasant. just wondering how much commotion it would cause when being checked for a stamp.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Sage

Don't see why not... I can hunt grouse without purchasing a migratory bird stamp which is required for woodcock
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:13 PM

Certainly you can hunt anything that is in season without the pheasant permit as long as you don't attempt to take a pheasant or attempt to flush pheasants or in any way aid others in taking or attempting to take pheasants.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

got it...Thanks.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 PM

This has come up before IIRC, but if you are running beagles who like to chase pheasants... I think the standard answer at the time was that 'to be safe' you should have the stamp, but I don't particularly like that answer. I have no interest in shooting the birds so I don't see why I should have to have the stamp. I only ask because the above answer mentions attempting to flush pheasants.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

but if the rabbit is hiding in the same field as the pheasants and i flush some birds while hunting rabbits and the group of guys at the end of the field shoot the pheasant i flushed, does that count as helping flush pheasants if i am not hunting with them or even know them ?

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
but if the rabbit is hiding in the same field as the pheasants and i flush some birds while hunting rabbits and the group of guys at the end of the field shoot the pheasant i flushed, does that count as helping flush pheasants if i am not hunting with them or even know them ?
I would say no.

Using the same logic...if you are hunting buck with no doe tag and kick out a doe to another hunter, you are not in violation.

JMO.
jimbridger likes this.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Sage

It would only count if you were hunting with them and that was the plan to cooperate. If your dog flushes a pheasant and you don't shoot at it you are not targeting pheasants any more than if your beagles kicked out a fox and you don't have a fur taker's licenses.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobeagle12 View Post
This has come up before IIRC, but if you are running beagles who like to chase pheasants... I think the standard answer at the time was that 'to be safe' you should have the stamp, but I don't particularly like that answer. I have no interest in shooting the birds so I don't see why I should have to have the stamp. I only ask because the above answer mentions attempting to flush pheasants.
The stamp is for those killing pheasants not "attempting to flush them", that's baloney. You could flush them all day, not shoot them, and no one could reasonably accuse you of pheasant hunting. The stamp is for those taking pheasants. You have as much right to be on the gameland doing your thing as anyone else does.
jimbridger likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingshot View Post
The stamp is for those killing pheasants not "attempting to flush them", that's baloney. You could flush them all day, not shoot them, and no one could reasonably accuse you of pheasant hunting. The stamp is for those taking pheasants. You have as much right to be on the gameland doing your thing as anyone else does.
You may want to read the law before you make an interpretation of it. Flushing pheasants intentionally is hunting them. There is a big difference between accidentally flushing game while participating in a lawful activity as in bohunr's question and intentionally participating in an activity that requires a license or permit without having one. Just as an aside, the reason the law specifically includes the use of dogs is so people who have dogs can't go out and use them to point or flush pheasants for others and not have the permit.

(a) A pheasant hunting permit is required for any person to hunt or take pheasants by any means or manner or device, including the use of dogs, in this Commonwealth.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 12-28-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page