What makes the CS WPRA successful? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

What makes the CS WPRA successful?

The Central Susquehanna area has worked where all the other wild pheasant areas failed.

Why is that?

https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Game-...spx?newsid=267

Quote:
Over two Saturdays in November, junior hunters took to the fields in Montour and Northumberland counties to pursue roosters within the Central Susquehanna Wild Pheasant Recovery Area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Don't know the answer to your question. However I'm starting to question what the end game is with these WPRA's? I'm not anti pheasant hunting by any means, but what is the purpose and long term goal at this point? To prove that proper habitat management can support wild populations? That seems like a no brainer. The problem is that we're probably never going to see that kind of habitat management on a large scale again state wide. If the goal is to recruit youth, I would argue that they would probably have better results hunting stocked birds like the rest of us. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just honestly want to know what the point is?
stinkbait and Grouse28 like this.
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The WPRAís were an answer to the question that we all knew the answer to before they started.
Throw enough money, time, and land into a project for pheasant habitat and it will support pheasants.
Just need only look to the Midwest to see that a loss of habitat results in a loss of pheasant populations.
The central Susquehanna worked best because it was relative massive amount of land involved.
I would love to see pheasants return to PA but it will never happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Man wouldn't it be great to see them devote the time, dedication, effort, and financial resources toward helping some of our native small game species flourish? I know I'd sure like to see that.
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Sage

You do know I hope, that the habitat that was created in the WPRAs does help native wildlife.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Bobwhite quail restoration is next.

I hope it is more successful.
Hornberg likes this.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Sage

Bringing back the quail, something I would love to see happen, will be more difficult than bringing back wild pheasants. Even the southern states are not all that successful in doing it and they have better quail habitat than we do. PA is on the border line of what can be considered bobwhite quail habitat. We had wild quail in my area when I started hunting in 1959, but they were on their way out. I have been going south to hunt quail, as far as GA to hunt a combination of wold and early release quail and they have better and more traditional and managed quail habitat than PA does.
Hornberg likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:18 PM

With the herbicides killing the grass and weeds in cornfields, and the changes in hay mowing schedules, I donít think pheasants can ever make a meaningful comeback. Itís not about predation....farms today offer little food and cover for small game.
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You do know I hope, that the habitat that was created in the WPRAs does help native wildlife.

Yes, there likely are some native wildlife species helped but I'm referring to native small game species.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 PM

from what I can see from my visits to the different farms in the WPRAs for the flushing surveys ,,,,

LAND OWNER participation
there are plenty of farms in the WPRA but not all are invested in the program
those that do want pheasants are geared to primarily have pheasants they provide an oasis in a desert of barren fields

Da hawk ate my baby!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page