Anyone going out for the last stocking? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone going out for the last stocking?

They're supposed to stock one last time week of Dec 20/21. Anyone planning on going out? I normally don't hunt small game at that time, but this year I'm planning to get out. It will be a nice change since rifle deer will be over and flintlock deer has not started yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Part of the Community

Yes, I am hoping to get out to hunt around the time of the last stocking and through out the late season. According to the game commission there will be more birds released for the late season this year and that should provide some great opportunities. The late small game season is one of my favorite to hunt. There are usually very few other hunters out and the colder temperatures mean less ticks to worry about when taking my dog hunting. I have had some really good days afield following the last stocking. Good luck to everyone going out!
Hornberg likes this.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Yeah I might try to get out, there is still a ton of birds around from previous stockings too. I flushed a group of 5-6 while deer hunting yesterday.
The only reason I might stay home is my dog. She has been limping on one of her hind legs off and on for the last few months. Sometimes we would hunt and she would be fine, but after one of our most recent hunts she was really bad. We are going for xrays next week. She is a lab and the vet thinks it might be hip dysplasia. I hope she is wrong, but we will see.
If she isn't able to go, I might focus on squirrels instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
They're supposed to stock one last time week of Dec 20/21. Anyone planning on going out? I normally don't hunt small game at that time, but this year I'm planning to get out. It will be a nice change since rifle deer will be over and flintlock deer has not started yet.

are you a truck chasing hunter ?

season re-opens Dec 10.

the boys & I will be out then trying to find any left overs........

bigguy54 likes this.

NRA life member
DU member
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I've never actually hung around waiting for thetrucks to show up. In fact I've never even seen the PGC stocking a field, so in that respect I would not consider myself a truck chasing hunter.

If you consider anyone who goes out on the dates they are due to stock, and you call that a truck chasing hunter, then I guess I'm that. At any rate, I don't care. You hunt the way you want, and I'll hunt my way.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 12-02-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I managed to find birds three different days during Thanksgiving week. These remaining birds are tough. Only one bird actually held for a point. All others were wild flushing far ahead. Felt like it was late season in the Dakotas. Every other bird was shot at 40+yards.

I’ll be out as soon as the season reopens chaising birds.

That said, come 12/21 I’ll be in a county that gets stocked more birds “truck chaising” too.....
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Yeah I might try to get out, there is still a ton of birds around from previous stockings too.
I'll back that. The last 2 days I pheasant hunted with my Springer, I put up a total of 13, killing 3. It's a really big field ( 1&1/2 miles long and 300-500 meters wide) with lots of places for the birds to hide from hunters.

Its nice to be excited about hunting again.
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:53 PM

I'll be hunting them every day once they are back in season. I had a call this evening from a guy I had out with his kids earlier this season. He works in a major sporting good store, one many of you deal with, who had a veteran customer asking about where he could get a good bird hunting experience. He called to give me the Veteran's phone number. I will be calling him to get him out and also made arrangements to take the caller and his sons out again in the late season.

Still plenty of birds out there but the ones that are left are real runners. Someone needs to let them know what their wings are for. But, they are still fun to hunt and we still harvest enough of them to keep it both interesting and fun.

With the increased number of birds being stocked for the late season it should make for a great late season. My dog, my friends and I will certainly be out there after them.

Dick Bodenhorn
Bull, bigguy54, stinkbait and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM
Regular Visitor

Yup, going out for sure can't wait, always loved the later season small game.
One of my favorite Christmas Eve memories was going out Pheasant and then Grouse hunting during the day and then going home for the festivities later. Really enjoyed it.
RyanR, Hornberg and Blue Bird like this.
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Part of the Community

I enjoy the winter stocking and me and my son will be out quite a few times to take advantage of it. Just wished they went back to the old way and closed the season on 23rd and stocked on 23rd(or what ever date it falls on) and re-opened it on the 26th. Was like having another opening day we looked forward to the day after Christmas. Now on 20th and 21st park lots will be full of hunters waiting for the truck to show! Not saying I won't be one of those guys there hunting on stocking day but would just like to see it go back to the old way.
RyanR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page