Anyone eat their kill on Thanksgiving? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone eat their kill on Thanksgiving?

I had pheasant for dinner tonight, one that I took a couple weeks ago. Wondering if anyone else made dinner using game they shot this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Every holiday we have deer/elk/bear back straps or burgers. We do have to let some family members know that it’s being served and that there is still “real meat” on other plates. I don’t understand that way of thinking but to each their own.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

My son made pheasants wrapped in bacon with cream cheese and peppers as an appetizer for everyone yesterday. Gave us a reason to hunt hard earlier in the week.
steelhead125 likes this.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 AM

one thanksgiving the only store bought meat on the table was the turkey. my brother in law was raving about the Ham (Boar), sausage (boar and deer) meat and cheese plate (deer), meatballs, (Boar and deer) and of course he liked the Turkey too. he was getting a second helping when he made the mistake of asking where we got the ham and stuff. when i told him he put his plate on the table and walked away mad.

Oh, well.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM

When I kill a turkey, I fillet out the breast meat and vacuum seal strips for frying. The remainder of the bird is boned out, shredded, and cooked in a crock pot. We use it in the gravy for our turkey on Thanksgiving. Much better flavor in the gravy than the store bought turkey will give you. We did that this year.

When I was a kid my Grandfather from Snow Shoe would bring a fall gobbler to our home every year for Thanksgiving. They weren’t very good roasted....dry and tough. We have roasted a lot of the fall birds I killed, probably ate 25-30. About 5 years ago i gave up on plucking and roasting them.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 11-23-2018 at 09:34 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage

I had ham from my wild boar one year at Easter. On Thanksgiving when I was in field training in Wyoming Co. The wife of the officer I was living with made Wild turkey, a bear roast, Wild blue berry pie with the crust made from bear lard and biscuits which we ate with honey from the officer's hives. A Pilgrim Thanksgiving dinner. That night on night patrol we ate cracklings from making the bear lard.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Roasted a store bought turkey and a couple of my less shot up pheasants yesterday, as part of our Thanksgiving spread.

The pheasants were cut up into smaller portions, posted roasting, so everyone could have some. Pheasants were brined, then stuffed with apple slices, sweet onions, and some fresh herbs. They were a big hit.

Went out today and found a couple more to restock the freezer. Gonna go out for a couple hours tomorrow AM and try for a repeat.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 AM

Not on Thanksgiving, but every Christmas I roast a couple fall wild turkeys, make deer sausage dressing, and a lasagna with ground venison Bolognese sauce. Along with some kind of fish I caught, this year, will probably be catfish (heading to Santee Cooper lakes next week). Christmas Eve dinner is going to be gumbo, made with squirrels, venison smoked sausage, crabmeat, and porgies I caught. And there will be venison ring bologna and wild turkey nuggets wrapped in bacon for hors d'oeuvres.

Not all the guests claim to be fans of wild fish & game, but they all love eating Christmas dinner at my house. I think it all comes down to knowing how to make this kind of food for the mainstream palate.
bohunr likes this.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 11-28-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
Roasted a store bought turkey and a couple of my less shot up pheasants yesterday, as part of our Thanksgiving spread.

The pheasants were cut up into smaller portions, posted roasting, so everyone could have some. Pheasants were brined, then stuffed with apple slices, sweet onions, and some fresh herbs. They were a big hit.

Went out today and found a couple more to restock the freezer. Gonna go out for a couple hours tomorrow AM and try for a repeat.

those pheasants wouldnt be so shot up if ya ground swatted em.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
I had pheasant for dinner tonight, one that I took a couple weeks ago. Wondering if anyone else made dinner using game they shot this year.
Of course, why else would one hunt game animals if not to enjoy preparing them as table fare? To me it's an essential part of why we hunt.

I made heckuva pheasant stew a couple weekends ago, that provided several dinners for me through the week.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page