Fox squirrels on game lands - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Fox squirrels on game lands

I live in Chester County, and I'm looking for a huntable fox squirrel population on game lands. I've read that they're around in PA, but I've never seen them around me. I'm willing to travel a few hours to try it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:28 AM
Regular Visitor

Usually fox squirrels are found in little pieces of woods atleadt thatís the only places I ever seen them and I only ever seen a couple in my life.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:30 AM

I have seen fox squirrels at the base of mountains, where it opens up into fields and fence rows. Had two one spring run down a driveway at the base of a mountain. These two were slow moving and just stayed in front of the truck, I was worried I would run over them, they were that slow moving. I would imagine easy pickens for hawks. Also saw a few down the road from there, that were hit by cars crossing the road. Seem less cautious than greys and move slower. This was up in Perry county.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:04 AM
The Man

In Maryland where I used to hunt they were common. That was in the mountains and I'd see them up on the ridges where my stands typically were, which was also where the oaks were. They are much calmer than greys.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Washington county tons of them. Some places its hard to find a grey.
Asajoe1 likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:16 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
Washington county tons of them. Some places its hard to find a grey.

Yep, they are a southern to western species. To find good populations in Pa the OP will need to try extreme southern Pa counties along the Maryland line, the further west the better. Or far west Pa counties along the Ohio line.
.257 likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:30 AM

I rarely see them around my area of northcentral PA, it's mostly all grays and blacks. When I lived in Chautauqua County, New York we saw lots of them and a daily bag of squirrel nearly always included at least some fox squirrels.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I see fox squirrels in Mercer County.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:49 AM
The Man

Map of distribution of Eastern Fox Squirrels:
Attached Images
File Type: png eastern_fox_squirrel_map.png (42.6 KB, 154 views)
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage

The fox squirrels in MD are the Delmarva fox squirrels which are a different color than the Eastern Fox squirrels. The Delmarvas are grey and white and have no red on them and have white bellies not orange. Back in the early 80s there was an effort by the PGC to release captured wild fox squirrels in areas where they no longer existed. I got some to release and Middle Creek got quite a few released on the area. They squirrels came from western PA and I do not remember if any came from other states. Fox squirrels were more creatures of small woods and long tree lines than the grey squirrels that like big deep woods. When I was a kid we hunted fox squirrels in Lebanon Co where they coexisted with greys. We had about a quarter mile of hickory trees on a tree line fence row that produced a huge number of squirrels. It was not unusual to come home with a mixed bag of greys and fox squirrels. The are gone now along with the hickory trees. Any way, at first the fox squirrels that we released seem to be doing well, there were lots of sightings and hunters were bagging some where before they did not. However they seemed to have disappeared now.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page