Pheasant hunting in the snow. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pheasant hunting in the snow.

Well this was a new experience for me & I must say it was great one. left home this morning in the poring rain, got a few miles past Valley Forge & it had changed to snow & was pretty windy. although the drive was slower it was not to bad. got off the turnpike 7 headed for the gamelands all the roads were snow covered turned onto the road the gamelands is on & I noticed no tire tracks. I was the first one on the road. pulled up to the area I was going to hunt, there was about 4 to 6" of snow on the ground. since I was the only one there I sat back drank a bottle of water & waited for it to get good light. while in the truck drinking the water I devised a plan looking at the field There were some stands of evergreens figuring the birds would go there for cover from the snow. Well I got out of the truck to put on my vest & get my shotgun when a cockbird cackled. My well thought out plan went by the wayside. I headed for where I heard the cackle. figuring the bird was in a fence line a couple fields over I slowly walked along the brush, when I noticed pheasant tracks I followed the tracks a short distance when a cockbird burst into the air. I swung the shotgun & folded the bird that fell into the fence line. after a short detour to get t where the bird fell I saw a few feathers looked over to the right a few yards away there he laid, not dead but not going anywhere either. I recovered the bird took some pictures sent a few text then continued hunting. about 50 yards, farther down the same fence line I came across another set of pheasant tracks these were heading into the field. I followed the tracks about 20 yards into the field when I spotted a cockbird sitting as I approached he stood up. I took a few quick steps & up ghe went cackiling like mad. As I swung him I fired too quickly & missed. I recoverd got back on him let him have the other barrel he folded & once again dropped into the fencline. This time I had a direct path to him & after fighting with some multiflower rose picked him up dead. The whole hunt was less then a half hour & I had the whole area to myself. Heading back to the truck I decided to follow the cut trails back to the truck. While doing so I actually flushed or seen 9 other pheasants with out even trying, the good news is they all stay on the gamelands for some one else to find. Back at the truck my next move was to get breakfast & I was home by 10am. My first pheasant huntin the snow was a fun & educating experience. Most of this season the birds have been running way out ahead, I believe the snow quieted my approach so I could get a lot closer to pheasants without them hearing me which gave an advantage. also following their tracks was fun & exciting.
Bull, R. S. B., Dogface and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:00 PM
The Man

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Banned

Nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Very nice. A short walk today on the opposite side of the state yielded similar results.

Took my 9yo son and 7yo pudelpointer for a walk. Two nice points equalled two nice roosters. First bird wild flushed after running ahead. Second bird held super tight, burying itself in the snowcovered switchgrass. Sure wish the mentor license included pheasants. (I think my son wished that even more than me). The second rooster flushing from our ankles would have been a good one for him. Dog pointed one more pheasant on the way out, and that rooster ran ahead wild flushed 50 yards ahead.

Sure is nice to be able to find birds this late in early season. Kudos PA GC. Sure would be nice if a few more birds were stocked in the Xmas season AND some birds were stocked in Erie county for the Xmas season.
Dogface and hunter-trapper21 like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thursday evening and this morning were fantastic for my Son and I. The snow gave it a new aspect.
Thursday eve
IMG_1837_1542485108007.jpg
This morning
20181117_092921_1542485214393.jpg
Dogface, Mike M., RyanR and 2 others like this.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Regular Visitor

Great story OP. It was killing me, I wanted to get out Friday morning, but work wasn’t going to cooperate. I did get out this morning. Flushed a hen, but with hunters in the direction it was headed I pulled up on my shot. Also flushed a cockbird way out in front and on the other sides of a brush line. To far to shoot, but I watched it fly across th adjacent field and right into a utility pole wire. It folded up like it was shot and dropped to the ground. Almost surreal the way it dropped.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
Sure is nice to be able to find birds this late in early season. Kudos PA GC. Sure would be nice if a few more birds were stocked in the Xmas season AND some birds were stocked in Erie county for the Xmas season.
According to what I read on the GC site, there is one more stocking to be done Dec 20/21, so maybe there will be some birds around for the late season........
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
According to what I read on the GC site, there is one more stocking to be done Dec 20/21, so maybe there will be some birds around for the late season........
That last stocking is supposed to have more birds than in years past too
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 PM
The Man

Sounds like you don,t hunt with a dog either like myself.Great goin guys.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 PM

I took my daughter's and son-in-law's GSP to some local public property that gets stocked by the PGC. This dog is 2 and is a house dog that I've had out one other time and my son-in-law has had him out 2 or 3 times. Took a long 2.5 hour walk in the snow covered woods and fields. The dog did great - he is a natural. He stayed close and listened and pointed 3 birds!. I shot the first 2 he pointed and of course walking out he locked up solid and I took a few pictures before a gorgeous rooster flushed that I happily watched fly away. Can't wait to take my grand dog out again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg point.JPG (368.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg pheasant.JPG (297.1 KB, 10 views)
Dogface, BillHjr and Marcus99 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page