Stocking pheasants, sportsmen's clubs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By R. S. B.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Stocking pheasants, sportsmen's clubs

I do not know a lot of about our pheasant stocking system here in PA - hence this post.
We were up in the ANF a few weeks ago, and talking to a local and they mentioned that a local sportsmen club stocked a particular area (township) with pheasants. Got me to thinking - I was always under the impression that the Game Commission does all of the stocking, but does the GC work with local clubs and give them birds to stock? It would make sense that the GC would work with clubs - with so much area to cover etc. And maybe this a particular case of a club using it's own money, buying their own birds to stock how they see fit. But it made me curious if clubs do indeed assist the GC for stocking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack4 View Post
I do not know a lot of about our pheasant stocking system here in PA - hence this post.
We were up in the ANF a few weeks ago, and talking to a local and they mentioned that a local sportsmen club stocked a particular area (township) with pheasants. Got me to thinking - I was always under the impression that the Game Commission does all of the stocking, but does the GC work with local clubs and give them birds to stock? It would make sense that the GC would work with clubs - with so much area to cover etc. And maybe this a particular case of a club using it's own money, buying their own birds to stock how they see fit. But it made me curious if clubs do indeed assist the GC for stocking?

I know PGC used to provide chicks to clubs, and not all that long ago. I could be wrong, but I don't think they do now... as a cost saving measure ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:38 PM
dce
Sage

Fox twp sportsman's club in Kersey raises a pile of birds and stocks them for kids on about 350 acres that they lease off of a local dump.I believe last year they stocked 750 birds throughout the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:52 PM

When the Game Commission stopped keeping pheasants over the winter, two years ago, and then collecting and incubating the eggs in the spring there were no longer day old chicks for the Sportsmen to get a raise. When the clubs could get day old chicks they did raise them and stock them on game lands or other lands open to public hunting, but now if a club wants to raise and release pheasants they have to find a source to buy day old chicks.

There is still at least one Sportsmen Club, Fox Township, Sportsmen here in Elk County, who buys chicks, raises them up then stocks them in the fall on land open only to youth pheasant hunting.

There might be other clubs raising and stocking pheasants across the state but I suspect they are pretty few.

As far as a club stocking pheasants on the ANF I suspect they might be talking about the NWTF veterans hunt that was held in Buzzard Swamp back on the 1st of November. Though the hunt is held where the game Commission already stocks there is an attempt to keep it as target rich as possible for about 60 veterans they schedule to hunt over our Pheasants Forever Chapter's dogs on that day. Thus we generally stock about three pheasants and three chukars per hunter on each field for each wave of hunters. There are eight fields with three two hour hunts on each field. Right before the wave of two, three or four hunters hit the fields we stock a few of the birds they bought so the hunters are pretty sure of having some birds go up in front of them.

Though the hunters harvest a majority of the chukars they are still only allowed two pheasants. That results in a fair number of pheasants and a few of the chukars being left for other public land hunters at the end of the Veteran's Hunt.

It is an excellent hunt and a great partnership between our Pheasants Forever Chapter, the National Wild Turkey Federation, the Allegheny National Forest, the Game Commission, the Marienville Vets Club and the local community. The NWTF coordinates the hunt, the ANF provide the land as well as a lot of help on the day of the hunt, the Vet's Club provide the meeting place as well as the meals, the local schools provide a lot of kids to help with the stocking and other general running duties, the area Transportation Authority provides busses or vans for shuffling the hunters back and forth and the Game Commission provide a special permit for the one day so the Veterans don't need to purchase the pheasant permit for that one day only hunt.

I lot of people make this a special day to honor or nation's veterans. It is a very rewarding experience for everyone involved and still leaves a fair number of birds for the area hunters to harvest after the vet's hunt.

Dick Bodenhorn
dce, bigguy54, FLDBRED and 3 others like this.

Last edited by R. S. B.; 11-15-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

GREAT hunt right there Dick, nice to hear that is being done for our veterans with a lot of great groups involved. Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Regular Visitor

A club near me did chukars two year ago and quail last year not sure if they did anything this year or not and from what I understood you didnít have to belong to hunt them I never went up and hunted the area.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Some clubs still purchase or raise and stock their own birds on lands open to hunting. Of course more did when the chick program with the PGC was still going.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 11-15-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page