Veterans Day Squirrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By TurkeyMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Veterans Day Squirrel

My wife is a teacher so I jump at any opportunity to hunt before work when I don't have to get the kids ready. I was playing it smart and not taking my bow out, so I opted for taking my 17hmr instead. I was scouting a spot to take my son on Saturday and only wanted one squirrel for fly tying materials. I was fortunate enough to shoot this grey at about 80 yards. I love to hunt squirrels at longer distances with my 17. I have a 22 as well, but really enjoy the distance side of the 17. I typically take head shots but wanted to practice up for rifle season coming up. Can't argue that this gun is not a tack driver.

I had the same model back in the day, but traded it for an over under grouse gun. I was researching 17's last year as I got the itch to buy one again. I was at a local sporting good shop checking out the new models when I saw the exact model I used to have. I told my friend who works there to just throw me the keys as this one is going on lay away right not. I had been regretting trading my original 17 ever since and was looking at every avenue to find that stock run. Was so excited to finally find it again. This was its first harvest under my ownership. I may upgrade the scope in time, but the one on it now is doing just fine.

I wanted to thank all who have served for giving me the freedom to hunt this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SQUIRREL1.jpg (161.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SQUIRREL2.jpg (87.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SQUIRREL3.jpg (124.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SQUIRREL4.jpg (188.8 KB, 18 views)

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Banned

Nice job.

I'm planning on hitting the squirrel woods either this weekend or during next week as I'll have the week(or most of it anyway), off.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Location: TN,Susquehanna,Wyoming,Bradford,Lackawanna, Tioga Co, PA , Steuben Co, NY & Sevier Co TN
Nice rifle TM happy you found the rifle you can enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice pictures, have you been out with your Lab for Grouse or Pheasant ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihaven View Post
Nice pictures, have you been out with your Lab for Grouse or Pheasant ?
West Nile, in combination with Logging has really lowered the grouse population in my area. I don't really hunt pheasants. Im hoping to get her out more later on in the season. Even without the gun it will be fun.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page