So......tell me why - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

So......tell me why

All last week I sat in a treestand watching...……….observing. I've seen this MANY times...….

All week I watched gray, fox and red(pine) squirrels go about their lives. The grays and the foxes were non-stop busy going 100 yards up behind me and fetching walnuts back to bury. Now...…….a gray squirrel weighs about a pound. A big fox squirrel goes maybe 2 pounds. A red squirrel maybe 6 ounces.

How come when a red squirrel chases a gray or fox squirrel...…….they RUN ???????? A red squirrel's head is the size of a walnut. A gray or a fox could take a red by the noggin and hurt it BAD. But without exception......the bigger squirrels tuck butt and run from those little red turds.

WHY ?????

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 PM
The Man

Cause it ain't the size of squirrel in the fight... it's the size of fight in the squirrel!

One of my most prized trophies is the dried out, hairless hide of one of them little suckers tacked up on my garage wall, been there for 35 years. Little bugger harassed me in my deer stand all season. Late small game season I took the .22 out, climbed in that stand and put an end to his miserable little life.
Bigbrownie likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Sage

The old timers used to say that red squirrels would castrate greys and fox squirrels in a fight. That would make me run.
Juniata4ever likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The old timers used to say that red squirrels would castrate greys and fox squirrels in a fight. That would make me run.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
I always heard the same.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The old timers used to say that red squirrels would castrate greys and fox squirrels in a fight. That would make me run.

I would bet the old timers were right. I kept pet mice as a kid and the males certainly did that.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a video on my phone showing a little red chasing everything that would come near my bird feed. Pretty comical. Also saw one carrying a dead chipmunk this summer. Nasty little buggers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
I have a video on my phone showing a little red chasing everything that would come near my bird feed.
So...……...if you woulda blasted his mean little arse with a shotgun...……….would that be considered baiting and illegal ??

The ones in my creek bottom have a rude awakening coming for them one of these days.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 PM

There was a chef at a moose camp named Otto that was obsessed with killing the red squirrels In the woodpile. He’d spend hours every day trying to shoot them with a .22 rifle. Every year I was there he’d kill one or two. He’d want you to see them, like he was showing off a 60” bull.

He was also addicted to watching The Western Channel on satellite tv. All day, all night, reruns of Bonanza, Gunsmoke, etc. It’s a wonder he found time to cook.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacksnQuacks View Post
I always heard the same.
My grandfather told me that too when i was a kid. At camp if a grey squirrel or black squirrel was at the bird feeder that little red squirrel would show up and the others would scatter like a bird of prey was in the area.

4B
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:33 PM
Banned

I hope I run across one of those reds. I'll see how tough they are against my flintlock 20 gauge and 1 1/8 oz of no. 6 shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page