Iíve seen zero grouse - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Iíve seen zero grouse

Let me first say, Iím not a grouse hunter anymore. But I am in the woods nearly every day, Sundayís included. I havenít seen or heard a single grouse this fall. I saw one on a state forest road back in August in northern Centre County. In the fall/winter of 2014-15, I saw 6. In 15-16, I saw 4. Last seaso, a total of 2. I think I see where this is going...

I hunt and trap in northern Butler, western Armstrong and in Clinton, Centre, and Clearlield Counties. Am I the only one , or are others seeing nothing?
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:21 PM

I have been seeing them in McKean, Elk and Cameron counties while deer hunting...........

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:29 PM

I've seen a few more in Elk County this year than I saw last year. Not a great increase but a few more. Don't know if it is just a coincidence or if there really are more this year though.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 PM
The Man

I've seen some in Armstrong County this year where I haven't seen any in almost 20 years.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 PM

West nile seems to be what they are blaming it on. Populations have been going down before west nile. Populations with grouse, pheasants and most small game numbers went down, when raptors were protected and rose in numbers. Saw a bat the other night around four thiry in the after noon. Was in a meadow with spruce trees around it, and watched a male coopers or sharpshinned hawk even try to catch it. Did not get it that time , maybe next time. The coopers and sharpshinned hawks are great bird eaters. In the spring they will one by one kill a whole brood of turkey poults, grouse and pheasant chicks. You are seeing the results of an uncontrolled whole classs of predators. As the Game Commision said if not controlled they will hurt small game numbers, they were right. We lost our limited grouse populations in the Adams county area back in the nineties, about when I saw the last wild pheasant. Grouse will probably be gone from the whole state in the next fifteen years. Not a good outlook. Funny thing is they blame west nile for the grouse losses, but west nile is known for sure to kill raptors, but yet the raptor numbers are doing well. If you take note to the pattern with predators be it coyotes, fisher, otter, raptors, bear, and others their numbers keep going up, despite all the disease and poor habitat claims. May it just that as predator numbers go up they have to eat more, pretty basic. I personally have seen more hawks while hunting this year than game.
nimrod41 likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:49 PM

Hunted all of October up in Maine, Seemed to be more birds than last year but fewer hare.

Returned home and hunted about 5 times now in areas where I usually bump grouse when rabbit running. So far this year only one woodcock and two grouse and both of these grouse were on the road when I was leaving the gamelands. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:06 AM
Regular Visitor

Flushed none so far this year. In Monroe and Carbon county.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:12 AM
New Arrival

I've seen about 20x more grouse than I have all other years combined. I don't hunt grouse but maybe I should! Flocks of 40 early in the spring this year and I can't walk in the woods without spooking some up any more. Last year I saw 5 and the year before that I saw 2.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapre1 View Post
I've seen about 20x more grouse than I have all other years combined. I don't hunt grouse but maybe I should! Flocks of 40 early in the spring this year and I can't walk in the woods without spooking some up any more. Last year I saw 5 and the year before that I saw 2.

Flocks of 40? I want to hunt where you are.
Marcus99 and Trapre1 like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage

what the flock????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (7.1 KB, 99 views)

wmu 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page