SGL 234 in Limerick - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dogface
  • 1 Post By twistedoak

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
The Man

SGL 234 in Limerick

I was planning on doing some pheasant hunting on SGL 234 in Limerick yesterday, but never got out of my truck. It was crazy. Every parking lot was packed with cars/trucks. Those game lands are so small, I just didn't feel comfortable pheasant hunting in that area. Even after I circled the gamelands and came back to the original parking lot there were even more hunters showing up. I saw four more guys had appeared after I first left the parking lot and circled the game lands, all dressed in full body orange with a dog. It must have been like WWIII in there. No way was I venturing in that mess.

I should have stayed in the section closer to the Power Plant. That parking lot was full too, but I couldn't tell if the cars were parked in the lot from the nearby houses, or if they were all hunters in there.

Anyone ever hunt this gameland? What has been your experience there?

Live, Love, Laugh.

If that don't work...

Raise, Aim and Fire. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/uzi.gif[/img]

Last edited by blindtiger; 10-26-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:36 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindtiger View Post
Anyone ever hunt this gameland? What has been your experience there?

I hunt the one on the river for doves and waterfowl. I never hunted small game there. It is so small you could walk it in a few minutes.

BTW the dove and waterfowl hunting has not been good the last few years.
blindtiger likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well, the bottom line is they are all crowded. I was hunting near Gettysburg just yesterday and I figured they must have just stocked it because folks were everywhere. Nope, not stocked, just lots of folks with dogs hunting on a wonderful afternoon. I found a place and hunted for about 60 minutes and heard rabbits dogs, saw two Vizlas, an English Setter and a Brit. Lots of folks out there and it was a Thursday. Made me scratch my head and realize there are lots and lots of folks who have no place else to hunt. That includes me for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunted the limerick side Thursday afternoon. Didn’t see a single live pheasant. Heard 3 cockbirds but couldn’t locate them.

Found 3 dead doe and 2 dead hen pheasants.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:39 PM

well since they only stock certain places ,them places will always the place to hunt
theres no getting around it

but some places get more pressure then others
and you heaviest hit places are those closest to large urban areas like 234
and while the farther away from cities you get the less people,you can't avoid them.

want the best chance not to see another hunter?
head a couple hrs northish on a wed
Matchman likes this.

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Banned

I used to hunt there every year back when we lived in Delco. It was the closest place we could find that they stocked birds. Since I don't live in Delco anymore, I hunt elsewhere now. But even back in the day, Limerick used to get very crowded. Haven't hunted there in probably 15 years now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Figured as much. Thanks for the responses. This was only the second time I’ve “hunted” here. The first time, I was the only one there. I just couldn’t believe how many hunters I saw there on Thursday. I guess I was just extremely lucky the first time. I drive by here on my way home from work, so I was hoping to find a quick spot to walk through every once in a while, but with this much pressure it’s hard to believe the birds would hold on the property for long no matter how many times they stock it. Have a few days saved on the calendar for some grouse/Turkey/pheasant hunting later on up north. Guess I’ll have to look forward to that. Might check out a few other areas down here too. Thanks everyone!

Live, Love, Laugh.

If that don't work...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 03:40 PM

I drive through the section on Game Farm road twice a day. There are cars there from Sept. 1st till the end of ext. doe season.
I usually run my Springer there on Sundays once in awhile when nobody is around, but we did go over today after the rain and there was only a couple of cars.
One guy was shooting his crossbow at the new Archery range which is fantastic, they did a great job.
The game Warden was parked there too.
We flushed two roosters

9 " you want Philly Philly? "

Doug " yeah, let's do it. "
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I did notice the new archery range there! I thought that was very cool and I will most likely use it at some point as well! Good to hear there are still birds there even after all the pressure it gets.

Live, Love, Laugh.

If that don't work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page