machete use on SGL - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

machete use on SGL

would it be legal to use a machete on weeds on GLs?

some of the areas I hunt have cut down areas that are so thick that neither me nor my dog can get in.
its made up of old clearcut dead fall ,green sticker bushes ,weeds and young saplings
triple canopy of about 16' high

I try not to shoot birds in it or heading into it ,but last yr I screwed up once and spent 3 hrs trying to get in and out of a 30sqyd area trying to find the bird.
I have no interest in cutting any kind of tree or sapling and am not interested in blazing trials thru it to hunt .
I just want to recover the bird.
is it legal to machete your way to recover one?

Da hawk ate my baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nothing like shooting a pheasant and watching it fall into a big clump of multiflora rose!

I have a feeling the answer is it would not be legal, but I really don't know. By the sounds of it, the SGLs in some parts of the state are so crowded with bird hunters if everybody was macheting to recover birds there would be no cover left.
jimbridger likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedoak View Post
would it be legal to use a machete on weeds on GLs?

some of the areas I hunt have cut down areas that are so thick that neither me nor my dog can get in.
its made up of old clearcut dead fall ,green sticker bushes ,weeds and young saplings
triple canopy of about 16' high

I try not to shoot birds in it or heading into it ,but last yr I screwed up once and spent 3 hrs trying to get in and out of a 30sqyd area trying to find the bird.
I have no interest in cutting any kind of tree or sapling and am not interested in blazing trials thru it to hunt .
I just want to recover the bird.

is it legal to machete your way to recover one?
No.

2512. Unlawful acts on commission lands or waters.

(a) General rule.--On any lands or waters owned, leased or controlled by the commission, it is unlawful, without first securing consent or a permit from the commission, to:
(2) Cut down or otherwise destroy any trees, shrubs or other flora.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage

135.2. Unlawful actions.

In addition to the prohibitions in the act on lands, waters or buildings under Commission ownership, lease, agreement, control or jurisdiction, it is unlawful, except with the permission of the person in charge of the lands, or the written permission of the Director to:

(1) Camp or use campsites.

(2) Plant, gather, cut, dig, remove or otherwise injure plants or parts thereof, including trees, shrubs, vines, flowering plants, cultivated crops, mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing plants.

Plinker gave the law I posted the regulation
Pa-Plinker likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:54 PM

No I don't think it's permitted. I shot a pheasant in some thick thick stuff 2 years ago. I knew the moment that I pulled the trigger that it was going to be a tough recovery. I was on my hands and knees trying to get to it. Luckily my dog was with me, and although I've mostly failed her as a trainer (beyond basic obedience), instinct must have kicked in and she retrieved the bird. Chewed it up quite a bit, but retrieved none the less hahaha.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:50 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
135.2. Unlawful actions.

(2) Plant, gather, cut, dig, remove or otherwise injure plants or parts thereof, including trees, shrubs, vines, flowering plants, cultivated crops, mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing plants.

Plinker gave the law I posted the regulation
I guess, watch where you step! On any trip, I'm crushing who knows how many plants under foot.

Syl
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvaneous View Post
I guess, watch where you step! On any trip, I'm crushing who knows how many plants under foot.

Syl
Yep ... that hike could get very expensive ...

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:33 AM

On this topic , I wonder how many people cut shooting lanes ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

kinda what I thought , but I was hoping the weeds were not counted as trees shrubs or other flora .

I was on my hands and knees at times ,some not by choice .
my dog could do no more then follow in my path.
even if it was legal ,I would do it only to recover because the areas do provide a space safe from hunter and dog

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:17 PM
Sage

Here are the pertinent regulations: Some of what you don't like is cover and habitat for wildlife.

135.2. Unlawful actions.

In addition to the prohibitions in the act on lands, waters or buildings under Commission ownership, lease, agreement, control or jurisdiction, it is unlawful, except with the permission of the person in charge of the lands, or the written permission of the Director to:

(1) Camp or use campsites.

(3) Travel on lands by means of vehicle or conveyance propelled by motorized power. This provision is not intended to restrict travel by certain devices used for persons with mobility disabilities as specifically authorized under Subchapter C (relating to State game lands).

(4) Swim in a dam, pond, lake or stream.

(5) Injure, destroy or cause damage to property—real, personal or mixed.

(6) Remove or attempt to remove any manmade or natural object except wildlife and fish lawfully taken. Objects which may not be removed include animals, rocks, minerals, sand and historical or archaeological artifacts.

(7) Participate in, become a part of, contribute to or engage in disorderly conduct as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. 5503 and 5505 (relating to disorderly conduct; and public drunkenness).

(8) Kindle, use or maintain an open fire.

(9) Travel on roads open to vehicular travel with vehicle or conveyance propelled by motorized power which is not licensed or authorized for operation on a public highway under 75 Pa.C.S. (relating to the Vehicle Code).

(10) Violate, fail or neglect to follow instructions posted on signs authorized by the Director.

(11) Travel by mechanical or motorized conveyance or ride animals on newly constructed, seeded or planted roads, or other areas, when posted against the travel.

(12) Possess, maintain, operate, occupy or travel by snowmobile or ATV in a manner not in accordance with the standards in 75 Pa.C.S. Chapter 77 (relating to Snowmobile and All-Terrain Vehicle Law).

(13) Construct, place, maintain, occupy, use, leave or abandon structures or other tangible property, except in the manner otherwise authorized and limited by 135.41(c)(11) (relating to State game lands).

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page