Hunting partner hit with pellet yesterday. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Hunting partner hit with pellet yesterday.

Remember my thread about safety while pheasant hunting. Well it happened. My friend got zapped in the shoulder by a pellet yesterday. Luckily he only got stung and his clothing stopped it. But, he said it felt like he got shot by a BB gun. He was very lucky. Two times yesterday we had pellets whizz by at close range. I had a dude fire and the pellets seemed to be only a couple feet over my head. Alot of trigger happy hunters out there who care more about getting a bird than where the pellets are going. Thankfully my friend didn't get hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:20 PM
The Man

Wow.How close was the shooter to your friend and did you all encounter the shooter?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Why you would risk hunting in such places is beyond me. There is not a bird in the world I would risk getting shot for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:17 AM

Pellets wizzzing by at close range? Did you see the person who fired them? And then someone hit by one. Time to take some positive actions and A - find the person who fired the shots B - find another place to hunt.

In 50 + years of small and big game hunting I have been hit by "dead shot" ( pellets ) one time. I don't know your circumstances relative to what you posted but if it were me I would choose option B and find another place to hunt. Also, that wizzing by stuff would be enough to initiate an in depth search for the shooter.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:37 AM

It's part of modern-day pheasant "hunting", at least in the more crowded counties. I was talked into going opening day a few years ago, it was quite a circus. Dogs that obviously weren't under control, guys waiting to tramp through a field on the heels of another group that had just walked there, pellets raining on my head...never again. I'd rather remember the good-old-days than deal with stocked birds.
Steeltrap likes this.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
Wow.How close was the shooter to your friend and did you all encounter the shooter?
The shooters were about 100 yards away in the field over from us. They fired at a bird almost parallel to the ground. Happens every year, although this is the first time one of us has ever been stung. Mostly its just lead rain that does no harm.

Find another place to hunt? Well we tried that, and all the places that have stocked birds are the same way, crowded, very crowded. Maybe its not like that elsewhere but I doubt its much different as long as its stocked lands.

I agree with Uncle Nicky its part of modern day stocked bird hunting no matter where you go.

What is finding the shooter going to do, other than lead to an argument! We could've got in the guy's face, then it would have lead to an even bigger confrontation and then the blame game would start. Surely the shooters would take no responsibility and would blame us for getting in the way of their shots, whether we did or not as in this case we were in our own field and so were they,.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 10-24-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 02:09 PM

So I’ve been rained on for years, this year is the first time for me being struck by pellets as well. Shooter was about 80 yards away. One pellet broke skin, could have taken out my eye but it didn’t. Could have been much worse but it wasn’t. Blame is put on the shooter, it clearly states in the game digest to identify your target. If you fail to do so and you injure or kill the fault rests on the individual pulling the trigger. No blame game or argument necessary, call 911. Problem resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
The shooters were about 100 yards away in the field over from us. They fired at a bird almost parallel to the ground. Happens every year, although this is the first time one of us has ever been stung. Mostly its just lead rain that does no harm.

Find another place to hunt? Well we tried that, and all the places that have stocked birds are the same way, crowded, very crowded. Maybe its not like that elsewhere but I doubt its much different as long as its stocked lands.

I agree with Uncle Nicky its part of modern day stocked bird hunting no matter where you go.

What is finding the shooter going to do, other than lead to an argument! We could've got in the guy's face, then it would have lead to an even bigger confrontation and then the blame game would start. Surely the shooters would take no responsibility and would blame us for getting in the way of their shots, whether we did or not as in this case we were in our own field and so were they,.

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Wow, is about all I can say!!!!!

I hunt pheasants on the most heavily stocked game lands in the entire state. On the opening day there will usually be around a hundred vehicles in various hunt area parking lots and you can see hunters in pretty much every field out there.

I have never had any pellets go whizzing past me and have only once even had pellets rain down near me. I have never heard of anyone else being hit by pellets or even having pellets whizzing past them.

All I can say is you guys must not have as safety oriented hunters in your hunting areas as we have around here.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
Wow, is about all I can say!!!!!

I hunt pheasants on the most heavily stocked game lands in the entire state. On the opening day there will usually be around a hundred vehicles in various hunt area parking lots and you can see hunters in pretty much every field out there.

I have never had any pellets go whizzing past me and have only once even had pellets rain down near me. I have never heard of anyone else being hit by pellets or even having pellets whizzing past them.

All I can say is you guys must not have as safety oriented hunters in your hunting areas as we have around here.

Dick Bodenhorn

I respectively disagree Dick. I would call your experience more of an anomaly, and not the norm when it comes to 1st day Pheasant Hunting on Gamelands. About 30 years ago, when I was 6'2" and full of muscles (hmmm, maybe I should write a song), I got hit square in the chest with a single pellet. Stung like a S.O.B. I was wearing a thermal shirt, and a Woolrich outer shirt/jacket type garment, then an orange vest. No "smallgame" type coat of the canvasback kind of variety. That would have sucked up a good bit of the pellets energy. It left a nice welt but nothing more.

I can't fault the party that shot. It was on a Wash. Co. Gl on the first day. We were working across a field that curved over and down. Obviously the other crew was working the same field, but over a rise, and we couldn't see each party. We heard the rooster go up over the rise, and they let loose. Just one of those things. I prefer to hunt brushy secondary areas adjacent to fields they stock, just to avoid bad situations.

NOW, if you think GL pheasant hunting is a challenge to avoid pellets, don't hunt any well-known marshes from a canoe on the first day of duck. Good Lord ! I think our canoes are 5 lbs heavier from acquiring all the spent shot from pellets raining down on us at the end of the day.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I got hit with a few rabbit hunting years ago, Have to stay inline! Know your surroundings at all times.
bigt557 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page