What do you do to protect yourself on the pheasant opener? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What do you do to protect yourself on the pheasant opener?

Aside from wearing the required amount of orange?

I have always made my boys wear safety glasses when we pheasant hunt, at least for the first few hours on the opener. I wear them as well. They may not stop a pellet, but they may just deflect one that might otherwise go straight into an eye unimpeded if they weren't wearing them. I taught them from an early age(of hunting) to always let the bird get some daylight under it before you take a shot just to allow for some safety angle. I've seen many hunters fire at birds while their weapon is parallel to the ground. A very dangerous thing to do. And if we hear pellets hitting around us, I taught the boys to immediately cover their eyes with their arms or hands, and get down close to the ground. We use the signal, "Lead Rain". When I yell that, it means to do the former and get down. It rains alot on opening day. We also try to give as much room to other hunters as we can. We don't walk in front of people, and if we see guys coming toward us, we usually stop and let them pass before we continue on our way, or we'll leave the field until they pass.

What do you do to insure your safety on the opener?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 PM

I hunt the fringes instead of where everyone else is hunting. The hunters chase the birds all around the edges so that is where I hunt when the pressure is heavy.

Dick Bodenhorn
bigguy54 likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hunt later in the day. No crowds and still lots of birds especially on the field edges or brushy areas. I see no reason to rush in before daylight for pheasants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 PM

I sit in a treestand far far away from that insanity. Lead rain?!!! Just pass off getting shot like it's some kind of routine deal! If I ever get shot I am shooting back. To kill a chinese ditch chicken! Goodness you can't make this stuff up.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:11 PM

I too try to wear glasses all the time. I won't be out opening morning either, but that's just me. If I do go out at all, it will be later in the day.

I've been peppered while dove hunting in the past and it is not a fun feeling. I'm with Elk Yinzer, it's sad that it is considered routine. The fact is, if you hear pellets hitting around you, it's already too late.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 PM

I go turkey hunting.
PA boxcall and Uncle Nicky like this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
I sit in a treestand far far away from that insanity. Lead rain?!!! Just pass off getting shot like it's some kind of routine deal! If I ever get shot I am shooting back. To kill a chinese ditch chicken! Goodness you can't make this stuff up.
As long as it's falling like rain (straight down) it won't hurt ya! Not enough mass in those little pellets when falling under just the influence of gravity to do much real damage. It's the sideways stuff ya gotta worry about!

That being said, I agree with you- just avoid the whole circus!
Blue Bird likes this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 PM
Part of the Community

On the opener we usually go later in the day or try to find a spot with lower hunting pressure. Just like all hunter numbers, I have seen a drop in the participation of pheasant hunting over the years. Recent years the pheasant openers have not been bad or crowded at all. If we are looking to avoid the crowds we hunt the afternoon of the opener with good success. Good luck to everyone heading out.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Part of the Community

ill be far away from the mayhem. I plan to hunt some doodles in the early morning and head out to stocked are around 11.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
No one is passing off getting shot, but hunting pheasants you will more than likely have lead rain down on you, or zip past, its a fact of openeing day life.

And to say you'd shoot back! That's insane. Please make sure you tell me where you're hunting so I can avoid you at all costs.
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page