Will guide for birds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Will guide for birds

I am willing to use my Britts for you to hunt over, no charge just wanting to get the dogs out more. Must be game Farm as I almost lost a dog to a neck snare last year on public ground. I live in the Lancaster area, if interested contact me at [email protected] Thanks !!
bohunr and Loggy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Sage

Why don't you just go to a regulated hunting ground with your dogs and hunt over them if you want to get them out. If you are going to limit where you will hunt your dogs to a regulated hunting ground, why should someone else pay for the birds for your dogs to work? The offer would be a good one if hunting land open to hunting for someone with no dogs.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Part of the Community

How do you figure that you almost "lost" a dog? A *cable restraint* (not a snare) that is legally set without entanglements will not harm anything that is caught in it. Snares, which are used in other states, are capable of choking and killing animals. Cable restraints, which are used in PA are safe. I have released many dogs which were allowed to run free on public and private lands that I trap. All of the domestic dogs I have released allowed me to walk up to them and simply clip the cable wire and they ran away. I use a dog catchers pole on wild animals, and would also use it if I encountered an unruly domestic dog. I have also released quite a few fox and coyotes which had rubbed/damaged fur. PLEASE do no spread negative/false ideas about trapping. If the cable restraint that you encountered was set illegally, you should have immediately reported it to the game commission and they would be able to prosecute the trapper. The last thing our outdoor community needs is to become divided against itself, as other groups are constantly trying to limit our outdoor activities.

Last edited by troutdoorsmen; 10-16-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Why don't you just go to a regulated hunting ground with your dogs and hunt over them if you want to get them out. If you are going to limit where you will hunt your dogs to a regulated hunting ground, why should someone else pay for the birds for your dogs to work? The offer would be a good one if hunting land open to hunting for someone with no dogs.

His offer is still a good offer to anyone who might hunt preserves and doesn't have a dog. That is a service most people pay a premium for. It might also be that the OP fell on hard times and isn't able to afford weekly trips to a preserve and this is still opportunity for his dogs and him to get out. Why is it that you are so quick to assume the worst in everyone?

The guy made an offer for use of his services. If you don't wanna take him up on it, then don't.
pahoytman, Loggy, Dogface and 13 others like this.

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDOGS View Post
The guy made an offer for use of his services. If you don't wanna take him up on it, then don't.
Well said!
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I’m not looking at making any money with this, my finances are just tight right now and wanted to help anyone who want to hunt birds and not have to rent a dog, as far as spreading negativity, that wasn’t my intention, the cable restraint did not look to be one that is shown in the game book to be a legal latch, if you ever watch your dog struggle and gasp for air you MIGHT understand my frustration. And truth be said I WILL cut any cable that my dog gets into and leave a note for me to replace whatever the trapper wants, DONT TELL ME HOW TO REACT WHEN MY BEST FRIEND IS IN ONE !!!!
Bull, bohunr, Uncle Nicky and 4 others like this.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Part of the Community

I didn't tell you how to react. I can tell your emotions are high. You are certainly welcome to release your dog from a cable restraint. Nobody on earth would fault you for that. I have released my own bird dog from someone's foothold trap while we were pheasant hunting on game lands. I just don't like people portraying trapping in a bad light on a public forum. The antis use all of these things for ammo when trying to tear down our outdoor sports. There are a variety of different, approved, safe, locks that can be used on cable restraints. They basically work like a choke collar. When the animal pulls, they tighten, when the animal stops pulling, they release. Hunters shouldn't feel unsafe to run dogs on game lands. They just need to know the basics of trapping so they can release dogs from a trap or cable restraint safely and in a timely manner. I talk to a lot of other bird hunters and I encourage all of them to watch a video on how to use cable restraints. You can release you dog in a few seconds by just sliding the lock open.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Part of the Community

So much for a guy posting a good heart'd gesture. Good way to grow and encourage a good community! Thanks for posting this ken66.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:27 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight (see what I did there ? ) BUT, the fella had a bad experience with his pup in a trap. Lets not assume it was a LEGALLY set CR. It may have been a Snare, or it may have been an improperly set CR. Either way, it's the guys prerogative to avoid public lands if he doesn't care to find his dog in ANY sort of trap.

He seemingly tossed out a valid gesture in completely good faith, so I'll toss him some kudo's for it. Preserve birds aren't the type of hunting that lends to a person with a tight budget, that's for sure. I mean, shucks I can afford it cuz I'm a multi-gazillionaire.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM

I’ve never had a critter, wild or domestic, that exhibited any sign of being harmed in a CR. You may see some redness on the flesh side of a pelt after skinning, but that would hardly be life threatening.

If you believe the CR was illegally set or constructed of unapproved material, one could contact the PGC. Properly constructed and set CRs are zero threat to a hunting dog.

As far as cutting the cable if your dog is caught....the CR cable is junk after each catch, so it’s of no value. It’s not hard to pull up on the lock to release a dog. CR cable can be tough to cut without proper snips.
troutdoorsmen likes this.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 10-16-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page