Shotgun Ammo: Don't Be Hood-winked - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Shotgun Ammo: Don't Be Hood-winked

I was ordering some 20 gauge ammo with 5 shot for pheasant season. (I decided to try a 20 w/#5, through the influence of Randy Wakeman.) I saw the Prairie Storms for like $19/box, waterfowl ammo prices! I have seen the full-page ads for this and other shotgun ammo and stuff and just blew it off because mostly I could quickly identify 'innovations' as gimmicks. Not full-on deceptions but more like the Simpson's episode where Malibu Stacey was offered with a new hat. Fluorescent shot wads... whatever. They are not usually WRONG in that the innovation is deleterious to the very function of the ammunition.

But this 'flitestopper' pellet is just that. It helps stop the flight of those pellets. Other companies mix shot size and type, like a few tungsten with steel. Not good.

This is all a bad idea and it's easy to understand why with just a little ballistics.

A sphere isn't a very good projectile, but is a better shape, for a given material, than any other non-conical and stabilized object. Any deviation from a 'ball' for a non-stabilized projectile will give the object a lower ballistic coefficient. In fact, a conical object, like a bullet, non-stabilized (flying sideways) is worse than a sphere.

A simple way of understanding ballistic coefficient is the idea of momentum/drag. The momentum of a certain mass of a projectile of a size and type is the same when being shot at the same speed (a lead BB s#6 or a steel BB #2 with the same M.V.). If you put that size pellet into a drop tube and then blew air up it fast enough to suspend it, you would find that any one of those pellets that is somehow 'out of round': wings, box-shaped, whatever; will need a slower flow to suspend it than a perfect spherical BB. Less wind is needed to = the weight of the pellet. So a 'non-spherical' pellet with the same momentum (mass X velocity) will have more drag.

So don't spend the $$$ on those outlandishly-priced shotgun shells. What the wads do, however, could only be determined by direct experimentation. But the shaped pellet is hogwash. It'll string-out your pattern and reduce impact velocity.

Better than ANYTHING else is get a shotgun that fits. Learn how to shoot it. Hunt in a place with abundant game by 1)paying for them or 2)by doing/supporting/paying for habitat and access. Goofy pellets will not help.

Syl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:19 PM

I get the cheapest name brand 1200fps low brass game loads in #6 I can find
if its late season and the shots are longer ,I might use some #5 express loads with a bit more fps...
randy wakeman is paid to sell fancy ammo
bohunr, loridr, BillHjr and 2 others like this.

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:41 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedoak View Post
I get the cheapest name brand 1200fps low brass game loads in #6 I can find
if its late season and the shots are longer ,I might use some #5 express loads with a bit more fps...
randy wakeman is paid to sell fancy ammo

^ This ^

Don't hunt small game anymore, but lived and hunted birds and bunnies in the heyday of the 60's and early 70's in south central Pa when small game was abundant. We never used any ammo but low brass 6 shot. That said, we all shot 12ga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:04 PM

I shoot all reloads ,but fiochi has a 20 guage load in 3 inch with nickel plated shot, around 15.00a box that's works well for a friend. Another friend shoots a 28 guage and uses the 5 shot nickel. If I did not reload, I would be trying to pattern them in my guns.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

I use Remington Express Long range 12 gauge high brass loads in #6 shot for pheasant . They're something like $13-$15 a box depending upon where I buy them(usually Wal-Mart). For everything else, its just cheap low brass Winchester game loads, again from Wal-Mart.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:25 PM

my wife killed a turkey this year at around 25 yards with her 20 ga using 7 shot small game loads. i played back up with my 12ga but wasnt needed. i am planning on her using something better, shot size next year but...it worked.

i agree, dont get hood winked. high base 6 shot is all i have ever used. but if you listen to all the hunting celebrities you cant kill anything with out the latest and greatest what it is for what it is, they are hunting at the time.

how did our fathers and grandfathers ever manage to put game on the table...they should have starved.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 PM

A few years ago I bought a case of Herters 20 ga, 2 3/4", 6 shot, high brass, for ~ $55 (that's $5.50 a box). It works great. Cycles great in my old 1100 and our Benellis. I only have a couple boxes left and will definitely buy more if its still cheap
bohunr and jimsdad like this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
my wife killed a turkey this year at around 25 yards with her 20 ga using 7 shot small game loads. i played back up with my 12ga but wasnt needed. i am planning on her using something better, shot size next year but...it worked.

i agree, dont get hood winked. high base 6 shot is all i have ever used. but if you listen to all the hunting celebrities you cant kill anything with out the latest and greatest what it is for what it is, they are hunting at the time.

how did our fathers and grandfathers ever manage to put game on the table...they should have starved.
Good for her. I have killed more than a few turkeys with regular 12 ga. #6 shot 2 3/4in. small game loads. Never had one get away and never had to belt one twice. Guy I hunted with had 3.5 inch 12.ga. turkey loads he paid a fortune for and about break him in two every time he pulls the trigger. I cant figure out why. Just how deads a turkey got to be?
bohunr and Asajoe1 like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Good for her. I have killed more than a few turkeys with regular 12 ga. #6 shot 2 3/4in. small game loads. Never had one get away and never had to belt one twice. Guy I hunted with had 3.5 inch 12.ga. turkey loads he paid a fortune for and about break him in two every time he pulls the trigger. I cant figure out why. Just how deads a turkey got to be?
My son shot a turkey a couple years ago with a regular 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge 1 oz #6 pheasant load. Turkey dropped and didn't get up again.
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:42 PM

Some years ago I bought a box of Hevi-Steel #2 for waterfowl. I was missing ducks left and right. I ended up cutting one of the shells open to examine the shot and it was horrible. The shot was all different sizes(some as small as #6) and a good portion of the shot was 2 pellets fused together. Never buy that stuff again, it's junk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page