Places to take a young hunter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By SlickShot
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Places to take a young hunter

Hey guys, I moved to southern Chester County about two years ago and I have done a very limited amount of hunting in this area. I normally drive up around NEPA and chase grouse. My oldest daughter who is 9 is going to be hunting with me for her first time this year so I am looking for somewhere closer to take her for rabbit, and squirrel to get her started. Do any of you know of any tree farms or other not so overgrown, and crowded places that we might be able to get permission to hunt. It seems like almost everything around here is posted, and the game lands have been so crowded when I've been there.
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:00 PM

You might consider taking your Daughter with you and knocking on a few doors and asking permission to hunt small game on a farm or two, most farmers or land owners would most likely give the two of you permission to do so, just because you asked and did not just trespass. Good Luck and I hope you find a nice hunting spot to teach your Daughter the basics of our wonderful sport......
quackmaster4, RyanR, OAWC and 1 others like this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage

What slickshot said. You are better doing that than taking the child to public land. Drive around, find promising looking places, be neat and clean and knock on doors.
OAWC likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Banned

Octararo lake off of route 472. Its owned by the Chester Water Authority, but allows public hunting all around the lake. Its not very crowded during small game season but deer season gets hammered. The back side of the lake off of Spruce Grove road has some decent squirrel and deer hunting. Go down to the lake on Spruce Grove road, cross the narrow bridge, then go about 1/4 mile, look for the pull off on the right. There is a powerline that goes uphill, you'll see it . All that land is open to hunting.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 10-06-2018 at 11:04 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys. I will go scout around the reservoir next week, and I will keep my eyes open for rabbit cover on the local farms.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mike, like others have said, I know the area pretty well from hunting waterfowl, but just because a farm is posted, doesn't really mean they don't allow hunting. Especially for maybe just small game, and with your daughter, you should be well received I would imagine. There are still some out there that just plain don't allow, or like hunting, but every farm I hunt is posted. I think anymore in SE PA, posted signs are just "ask permission first". Lot of old timers have the belief if it isn't posted, you can just go ahead and hunt it. My opinion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:00 PM
New Arrival

I’m not sure how far this is from you, but Jacobsburg State Park could be an option for squirrel and rabbit. It doesn’t get much hunting pressure, but does get a lot of hiking/horseback pressure in parts. I used to pheasant hunt it when the state put birds out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page