Do you think squirrel season opens too late? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Do you think squirrel season opens too late?

I've always wondered why the PGC opens squirrel season in mid October. I realize the mast crop usually is falling at that time, but I'd like to be able to hunt squirrels the last week of September, as its usually starting to cool off by then(well all but this year anyway).....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:00 PM

I'd like to see it start earlier but then we'd end up having another lactating squirrel debate in here.

Juniors get to hunt them starting this Saturday so I'll be out with my boy looking for mushrooms while he looks for squirrels.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:06 PM

i can guarantee the bow hunters would complain. squirrel hunters would be roaming through the woods spooking the deer even if it was just squirrel hunters going to find a place to hunt. better let it stay as is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim View Post
i can guarantee the bow hunters would complain. squirrel hunters would be roaming through the woods spooking the deer even if it was just squirrel hunters going to find a place to hunt. better let it stay as is.

Bowhunter here that would like squirrel season to start earlier.
Uncle Nicky likes this.

ďAw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.Ē

ďJust because I donít care doesnít mean I donít understand.Ē
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:04 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim View Post

Back in the day (talking late 60's, early 70's), on the opening day of squirrel and grouse it was a tradition for me and two of my uncles to bow hunt deer; we would always see a lot of deer getting pushed around by small game hunters. I always looked forward to that hunt.
huntr4477 likes this.
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:34 PM

Itís hard to tell itís opening day for squirrel these days. Very few hunters out and little shooting. I think .22s are more popular with hunters today than shotguns....I made the switch years ago. A lot of leaves on the trees now....squirrels are easier to get close to but finding it in the scope can be challenging in a treetop full of green leaves. Iíd vote to keep it as is.
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonfoust View Post
Bowhunter here that would like squirrel season to start earlier.
Me too. Avid bowhunter, zero complaints. Sept 15 would be reasonable. Nobody hunts squirrels anymore. Probably the single best species to start new hunters on and hardly anybody hunts them anymore. Everyone wants to drag their 6 year olds out to the deer blind with a crossbow and skips the fundamentals.
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
Me too. Avid bowhunter, zero complaints. Sept 15 would be reasonable. Nobody hunts squirrels anymore. Probably the single best species to start new hunters on and hardly anybody hunts them anymore. Everyone wants to drag their 6 year olds out to the deer blind with a crossbow and skips the fundamentals.
Ainít that the truth. Itís all about deer nowadays. Itís little wonder that many of these kids wonít be retained as adult hunters. They have someone do all the scouting, place the tree stand or blind ( or whatever hunting palace they sit in ) , carry their weapon to and from the woods, spot the deer and then field dress and get it out of the woods. They know no nothing about hunting, and play on their phone until dad nudges them that a deer is coming. Although there are a few hard core youths hunting today, what I described is becoming far more common.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This has be discussed before. Squirrels are still lactating and need to take care of the litter. Even though a guy on here climbed a tree because he forgot cream in his coffee and was issued a citation during early archery you'll never see an early tree rat season. I have my fill of them in the back yard.

Now that I'm thinking, which is dangerous, whats the difference between groundhog an squirrels. Both are numerous.
Buckethead likes this.
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

The greedy bowhunter in me says "stay the *&&^#" out of the woods you tree rat chasers! The tree rat chaser/eater in me says lets start mid September!! I love small game hunting, but not as much as deer hunting..

Previously JJ5C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page