PAGC Managed Dove Fields?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

PAGC Managed Dove Fields??

A friend has asked me to post here regarding the PGC's "Managed Dove Fields". He tried the one near Prince Gallitzin and saw no doves. He said the only attempt at management he saw was a crop of 3-foot high Foxtail grass. Has anyone visited one of these areas and what did you see in the way of doves and management? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpa View Post
A friend has asked me to post here regarding the PGC's "Managed Dove Fields". He tried the one near Prince Gallitzin and saw no doves. He said the only attempt at management he saw was a crop of 3-foot high Foxtail grass. Has anyone visited one of these areas and what did you see in the way of doves and management? Thank you.
Actually here on the Beltzville Wildlife Management property the PGC planted like 3-4ft strips of sorghum in any number of fields and then tilled up wide strips of dirt on either side. Then the first week of the season they mowed the sorghum and let it lay.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Actually here on the Beltzville Wildlife Management property the PGC planted like 3-4ft strips of sorghum in any number of fields and then tilled up wide strips of dirt on either side. Then the first week of the season they mowed the sorghum and let it lay.

Any doves using it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned

Find some public land that borders private cut over fields and you have the best of both worlds.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Any doves using it?
Yeah there are always doves around but never seen them in great number there. Part of the problem I think is that it's a big area with enough good spots that doves like(including neighboring tracts of private crop and Christmas tree farms that they just don't concentrate on one spot as much as they might in other places.

I can tell you that when I'm running the dogs I haven't seen doves working these strips really at all.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:41 PM
The Man

Thanks Ryan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

In the area, I live doves have been a no-show for about 30 years now. My friend lives nearby. It has always been my impression that about the time all of the remnants of strip mining were reclaimed, with their shale beds littered with goldenrod, foxtail and numerous water puddles, the dove around here vanished. Most of the crops in this area are soybean and corn which but for the foxtail in the corn dove have little use for. I suppose the PGC's foxtail and sorghum will provide some feed for the pheasants they stock but doves need open ground to land on or sparse weeds so they can see predators, close water and grit. Three-foot standing foxtail grass is silly.

Thank you for the interest and replies.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:42 PM
Part of the Community

I went to 2 in mercer/lawrence county. Whatever was being 'managed' didn't amount to enough for me to notice. They tilled one field maybe a month ago. Did nothing of value. Never saw doves (a dove). Patrolled around Pymatuming. Almost the same. Killed 1 that happened into me. Bought a dove decoy tree and a mojo dove in anticipation. total waste.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:32 PM

As someone who used to try and manage a few small private spots for dove, I can say it's tough. My experience is that you can only get at most 3 good hunts(with declining results on each successive hunt) out of a spot before they get spooked. We would hunt only about 45 minutes to an hour and get out. That still didn't help. One spot that didn't get managed at all got pounded opening day. That was basically all the shooting you could get out of that spot. The birds aren't dumb. When they get shot at they move somewhere they aren't. I give the PGC kudos for trying to provide opportunities, but it's tough to "create" a dove field that will benefit hunters for an entire season.

If I wouldn't get arrested I'd hunt on my roof. Could probably manage a limit with all the birds zipping around to the neighbors feeders.
RyanR likes this.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, every day I have about a dozen or so doves along my gravel lane or on the powerline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page