Pheasant stocking your own birds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By timberdoodle
  • 1 Post By EIGHT POINT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Pheasant stocking your own birds

I think I read that last year a person buying pheasants from a breeder and stocking them on their own land still needed to purchase a pheasant stamp. I thought however that that had been changed for this year? I looked here in the archives and on the PGC website but can't find that it has. Does anybody know? And if so could you provide a link to the PGC site where it says either way.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Sage

You read correctly. When you release pheasants for the purpose of the law they are the same as wild birds and you must abide by the bag limits and the sex limits and the season unless you have a regulated hunting ground permit which requires 100 acres.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Sage

147.317. Permit.
(a) A pheasant hunting permit is required for any person to hunt or take pheasants by any means or manner or device, including the use of dogs, in this Commonwealth.
(b) A pheasant hunting permit shall be signed and carried on person when hunting or taking pheasants in this Commonwealth.
(c) This section and subchapter may not be construed to require a permit for individuals engaged in:
(1) Lawful pheasant hunting activities under a valid commercial or noncommercial regulated hunting grounds or special retriever training area permit issued under sections 2928 and 2942 of the act (relating to regulated hunting grounds permits; and special retriever training areas).
(2) Lawful dog training activities under a valid dog training area, special retriever area, field dog trial or field dog trial for retrievers permit issued under sections 29412944 of the act.
(3) Lawful hunting of pheasants they have acquired and released on private lands not otherwise designated as cooperative access lands under sections 709 and 729 of the act (relating to cooperative agreements relating to land; and public access projects). Any pheasants hunted, taken or possessed under this paragraph shall be banded, tagged, marked or receipted in accordance with section 2930 of the act (relating to propagating permits).
(4) Lawful hunting of pheasants by persons that previously acquired a senior lifetime resident hunting license or senior lifetime resident combination hunting and furtaking license, as defined under 2705 of the act (relating to classes of licenses), prior to May 13, 2017.

Authority

The provisions of this 147.317 amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. 2901(b).

Source
The provisions of this 147.317 amended May 25, 2018, effective May 26, 2018, 48 Pa.B. 3091. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (388091). <a name="147.318.">

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
147.317. Permit.
(a) A pheasant hunting permit is required for any person to hunt or take pheasants by any means or manner or device, including the use of dogs, in this Commonwealth.
(b) A pheasant hunting permit shall be signed and carried on person when hunting or taking pheasants in this Commonwealth.
(c) This section and subchapter may not be construed to require a permit for individuals engaged in:
(1) Lawful pheasant hunting activities under a valid commercial or noncommercial regulated hunting grounds or special retriever training area permit issued under sections 2928 and 2942 of the act (relating to regulated hunting grounds permits; and special retriever training areas).
(2) Lawful dog training activities under a valid dog training area, special retriever area, field dog trial or field dog trial for retrievers permit issued under sections 29412944 of the act.
(3) Lawful hunting of pheasants they have acquired and released on private lands not otherwise designated as cooperative access lands under sections 709 and 729 of the act (relating to cooperative agreements relating to land; and public access projects). Any pheasants hunted, taken or possessed under this paragraph shall be banded, tagged, marked or receipted in accordance with section 2930 of the act (relating to propagating permits).
(4) Lawful hunting of pheasants by persons that previously acquired a senior lifetime resident hunting license or senior lifetime resident combination hunting and furtaking license, as defined under 2705 of the act (relating to classes of licenses), prior to May 13, 2017.

Authority

The provisions of this 147.317 amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. 2901(b).

Source
The provisions of this 147.317 amended May 25, 2018, effective May 26, 2018, 48 Pa.B. 3091. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (388091). <a name="147.318.">
According to this, was woods walker wrong in his reply? Or is there something under sections 709 or 729 that make it illeagal?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Sage

No Woods was not wrong as I understood his reply.

The sections you inquired about pertain to private lands enrolled in having their land open to hunting. Public access. Mu land is in such a program. If I stock pheasants on MY land I would need a pheasant permit (but I'm exempted from that as I had a lifetime license prior to last year. But someone else would need the pheasant permit)

I believe the original post was asking if he stocks his own land with pheasants he bought and stocked would he need a pheasant permit. And the anwer is no he would not..but still has to abide by season and bag limits and follow harvest sex restrictions if applicable.

I remember when hunting used to be simple.
dap likes this.

wmu 3A

Last edited by timberdoodle; 09-09-2018 at 10:20 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Banned

And I wonder in the above scenario, just how many guys who will stock their own land will abide by any or all of these rules? If nobody else is hunting the birds but them, its only them who will know, so I just don't see these guys following the law to the letter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 01:09 PM

I stocked males on one side of my property and females on the other side as permitted by law.
I gave them a stern talking too and told them not to cross over and stay on their side of the line .
BigJob likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page